• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4 link help

4bangin2hangin

I'm doing my first 4 link setup under my xj an I went the cheap route an used 3 point hitch links from tsc I got everything tacked into place an notice there was nothing stopping my rear end from swaying side to side I've seen other guys use the same links without a track bar am there's doesn't away..can some one tell me what I did wrong.I'll post pics when I take them..any opinions would help..thanks

Probably too much to list. If you are shooting from the hip on all your tab locations you should probably stop now and get out the computer and read for about a week. lol

I've read an read an read an measured an measured. I knew it went together to easy. All my tabs are just tacked on so I can always move them.. I don't have my shocks tabs welded up or nothing but I missed something somewhere

This might be a good place to start. You should probably google 4-link design first to learn about the terminology and how everything works. Then you can play around with the calculator and see what does what. Im attaching a file of my rear 4link on excel.

Attachments

• TJRear.xls
    216 KB · Views: 133
As far as the horizontal stability, you have to think about like a frame laying flat. There has to some triangulation among the 4 link, preferably all, they act like gusset braces.

The bars being angled different directions is what controls side to side, and do you mean you are using the tractor joints or the whole link setup, if its the whole link setup you might want to think about sleeving it or something because that's not going to take much abuse and tearing an axle out from under a rig on a trail makes for a long day.

that side to side action make it little sketchy on road, I would love to see sum pictures!! :****:

Roy_Hobbs said:
This might be a good place to start. You should probably google 4-link design first to learn about the terminology and how everything works. Then you can play around with the calculator and see what does what. Im attaching a file of my rear 4link on excel.

Not to hijack the thread but why did you set your anti squat so high? I thought it was supposed to be in the lower 80's???? Or does it vary between 3 and 4 link set ups?

100% antisquat means that the axle is neutral, ( it doesnt tend to squat nor rise on take off). It was just a personal guess as to how i wanted the rear suspension to handle. Any movement up or down of suspension is lost torgue applied to the ground. However i did put the antisquat on the front suspension at 89%, because i wanted it to squat a little, especially on a climb.

Roy_Hobbs said:
100% antisquat means that the axle is neutral, ( it doesnt tend to squat nor rise on take off). It was just a personal guess as to how i wanted the rear suspension to handle. Any movement up or down of suspension is lost torgue applied to the ground. However i did put the antisquat on the front suspension at 89%, because i wanted it to squat a little, especially on a climb.

Ok cool. I couldnt remember it's been so long since a buddy and me set mine up and at the time it was one of those get the jeep done before the ride in 2 weeks and i didnt have axles under it haha. Did you 4 link the front?

jeeptj99 said:
Ok cool. I couldnt remember it's been so long since a buddy and me set mine up and at the time it was one of those get the jeep done before the ride in 2 weeks and i didnt have axles under it haha. Did you 4 link the front?

I did. Its in a build thread im doing in the tech section now. i will attach front 4-link file and a link to the build

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=32510.0

Attachments

• TJFront4.xls
    215 KB · Views: 97

Latest posts