• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4-stroke oil...

the stuff at schucks, its either valvoline or havoline. its got a street bike on it. it covers all the specs in my manual for waranty requirements.

the same company has one with a quad on it and one with a street bike on it. I couldnt find any differences just reading it so I went for the strreetbike one. figured it was better, dont know why though? both are wet clutch OK.

Im positive there are better oils but these are cheap and get changed more often. I worry about the clutch more than the engine.:beer:

Do you know what's in it currently?

The reason I ask is that my previous bike had dino oil in it with no problems. I didn't know what it had, so when I changed it the first time I thought I was doing a good thing by going synthetic. The synthetic oil swelled the clutch disks, which made the clutch drag even fully released. It sucked for a while and I was intentionally slipping it for a while to get them worn in a bit.

I didn't particularly like the feel of the clutch either, but I figured I'd just run it that way until it was time for a new clutch pack.

Do you know what's in it currently?

The reason I ask is that my previous bike had dino oil in it with no problems. I didn't know what it had, so when I changed it the first time I thought I was doing a good thing by going synthetic. The synthetic oil swelled the clutch disks, which made the clutch drag even fully released. It sucked for a while and I was intentionally slipping it for a while to get them worn in a bit.

I didn't particularly like the feel of the clutch either, but I figured I'd just run it that way until it was time for a new clutch pack.

The PO said he was running full synthetic... but he couldn't remember the brand... something he bought at the local husky shop in Spokane.

Unfortunately we don't have a husky specific shop here, but we do have an independent shop that carries a few different brands. Thought I'd see what everybody else was running, as I need to do a change pretty soon.

The PO said he was running full synthetic... but he couldn't remember the brand... something he bought at the local husky shop in Spokane.

Unfortunately we don't have a husky specific shop here, but we do have an independent shop that carries a few different brands. Thought I'd see what everybody else was running, as I need to do a change pretty soon.

There is a Husky shop in Everett. Maybe try calling them to see what they recommend?

Tasky's Metric Cycle
(425) 252-2295

2415 Hewitt Avenue Washington,
Everett, WA 98201

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com

I always ran the bike specific oil so in my suzuki I can the standard suzuki oil in the honda I can the honda oil.

I always ran the bike specific oil so in my suzuki I can the standard suzuki oil in the honda I can the honda oil.

honda oil hasn't been updated in years... compare it to regular oil and "4 stroke" specific oil. look at the api rating (american petroleum institute rating) or #'s on the honda oil (it is an "S?") and compare it to everything else. the api rating is generally what i go by. if it has the same api ratings, which also designate the detergents and crap in the oil, run it. please show me the research that shows that the "detergents" in regular oil are any different than "bike specific" oils. because the standard detergents are required to meet that api rating. :rolleyes: just make sure it meets the manufacturer's requirments and run what ever meets or exceeds it.

my bike requires an API rating of SG or higher. modern oils are up to SM and possibly higher. the second letter in the rating is the revision level, basically the higher the second the letter the newer the generation of oil or api requirement.

Last edited:
I've been running Honda HP4 since new in my current bike. No complaints at all, it's a synthetic. The only thing I have to say for a synthetic over a dino oil in a bike, is that after periods of inactivity, the clutch won't stick (got rid of that jump when you put the bike in gear for the first time).

OLD THREAD BUT...
ive been using the honda HP4. i have last year and a little ove half this years AMRA races on the stock clutch ('07 yz450). well last night i decided to replace my clutch as a maintance part. the races we do are all off road, usually 3 hours and almost all single track, technicall, slow speed stuff, kinda like the national enduro type courses, the clutch looked awesome!! i changed it anyways but ive always ran this oil and changed it about every 2-3 rides and before and after every race. this stuff is the shiat!!

Belray Thumper for all crankecases and common crankcase and transmission and Belray gear saver for separate transmissions, these are the best that i have come across. it gives the best clutch feel and clutch life of all that i have tried.

car oil is fine..as long as its not "energy conserving"
if is got the molybedeum crap in it, it will **** up the clutch...

i run dealer oil, in my bike, and my quads.
its only a few bucks more than what i can get it for through work.

There is alot of good oils out there for the 4strokes, I currently run 0-40 Full Synthetic from Amsoil for over to years on my Raptor 700. I have a membership thru them so I get their stuff at cost. I think you cant really go wrong as long as its approved for Wet clutches.