• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.0 swap into 90 toy ext cab

here is the deal im swaping in a 5.0 crown vic motor into my 90 extended cab, but i dont no what tranny to run. I have the stock v6 tranny but the bellhousing kit is pretty pricey. I also have a c4 but it needs rebuilt. The v6 bellhousing to 302 kit is about 850 and the c4 to toyota t-case is about 650. i like the 5 speed but im not sure how it will hold up. Im running 37s now but have a set of 39.5 irocks that are going on when these die. Im going to run 4:10's with a detroit in the back with a v6 pod and an auburn e locker in the front in my wagoneer 44 with chromolly shafts. so any input would be great if anyone out there has done swap so thanks:mad:

im runnin duel cases with 471 gears in the second case and ive gone through a set of 5.29 this truck is not a daily driver it usually just sits on the trailer. the 4:10s did great with the stock v6 with 37s so im pretty sure they should do great with the 5.0. if it doesnt i guess ill be changing them.

im runnin duel cases with 471 gears in the second case and ive gone through a set of 5.29 this truck is not a daily driver it usually just sits on the trailer. the 4:10s did great with the stock v6 with 37s so im pretty sure they should do great with the 5.0. if it doesnt i guess ill be changing them.
what the 1st gear in the toy auto?

with those t-case gears it might not be too bad.

what the 1st gear in the toy auto?

with those t-case gears it might not be too bad.

Unless you're dead set on a 5 speed, I think you'll be time and money ahead to rebuild/shift kit that C4.
i totally missed that the v6 stuff was a 5speed.

yeh, 4.10's will in NO way work with the c4. well, it will, but you will be running the 4.7 low everywhere.

yeah im thinkin your right about the c4 i think im gonna look more into the sm 465 adapters they seem to be reasonably priced and i dont have to worry about gernading the stock 5 speed, and ive never been a autospastic guy to much crap to go wrong.

The stock trans will actuallyhold up really well unless you get retarded with the loud peddle and start banging gears on the street. A buddy built one with a completely out of hand 383 and it'd blow the 35's off at any speed and survive just fine. The first time he banged second it blew all over the place...

Oh and if you blow it up I have a guaranteed good V6 trans sitting at home I'd let go for cheap. :D

I have an 85 Runner with a very tire multi-fuel 22RE, 5spd, dual cases, and 5.29's and have a good 302 sitting in the shop and have been looking at the options for a similiar swap... basically what I have found is by the time you buy adapters, yada yada and updated the input / output shafts on toy cases to live reliably behind a smallblock, get out your wallet... cause its gonna cost ya.

IF, and that is a big IF... I ever decide to put my 302 in my Runner, it will be an injected 302 / C4 with a revers manual valve body, to a 4 spd Atlas. The 4spd Atlas costs more than the 2 spd, but I am not willing to give up my gearing options.

Oh, and I had a small block ZF for a while sitting around for the swap... unless you want to buy a Klune, I couldn't find anyone making an adapter to mate the ZF to a Toy case... and you still have to upgrade the shafts in the Toy case.

If you figure it out, post info and pics!

im running a 302/c4 with stock internals on the cases. havent broke anything yet. but i dont get crazy with the skinny pedal, and i dont play on the rocks....very much.

its soon to be injected aswell:cheer:

i have a good C6 sitting here i'll sell ya... you shouldn't be able to break this lol... just pm me if you'd like to talk about it :awesomework:

Vehicle engineering gone wrong. Why have a rig you NEED to ***** foot so you dont break everything downstream of the engine.

Bouncing on the limiter is way more fun than being towed out.

Latest posts