• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 horsepower help???

RFREYNOLDS

Hey guys I am new to the ls style motors I have a 2002 5.3 to put in my jeep and I hear ppl say you can get 500+ hp just from a cam and tune
My question is. Is this true and if so what do I need to get it done as in cam specs and who to put the tune in it I have a Howell harness and computer

Thanks In advance for any help y'all can give

I don't think 500 is possible with just cam and tune. I've heard close to 400 horse. I'm running a 2002 5.3 with cam, valve springs, custom tuning, and custom headers. I don't think mine is near 500 hp. With the cam I'm running it's bark is a lot worse than its bite though. It sounds awesome and I get a lot of compliments on it. It doesn't lack the power at all but I'm pretty sure it's not even close to 500. Hell it may not even be 400.

Thanks man I don't need a lot but I would like more than stock what size cam did you put in your motor

gdf on here just "built" a 5.3...Shoot him a PM and see what all he done. He should be close to 400 I think. :dblthumb:

I would say upper 300's. I have a 408 with Stage 2 TSP heads, FAST 102 intake bigger fuel rails and injectors, Cam, high compression (have to run 110 racing fuel), and dyno tuned at Delk performance and it made 380 rwhp which he estimated about 615hp to 630hp at the motor. So I definitely don't believe 400 to 500 with just a cam and tune. Now with high flow heads, cam, and a tune sure you'll be over 400hp easy.

Turnkey Engine Supply has a nice package for the 5.3 that includes cam, valve springs, ECM and wiring. It's simple, easy to install and does a very good job at waking the 5.3 up.

A 6.0 will make 495 hp with a gm hot cam, headers, and a cam.... you'd be LUCKY to see 425 with that same set up in fuel injected form. It is easily possible to see 385 with a set up like you are talking, but that is about it without more work

Thanks for the info guys if I could get 400 hp that would be great and I looked up that turnkey engine supply I couldn't find that 5.3 kit

Draco said:
gdf on here just "built" a 5.3...Shoot him a PM and see what all he done. He should be close to 400 I think. :dblthumb:

I did some talking and ened up trading for a 03 6.0 ....but from all the research i did......cam springs push rods rockers tune and ls6 intake with a 90mm throttle body was a solid and reliable 400-425...but thats what i was told

What one does at the crank and what it puts to the ground is a lot different everbodys drive train setup is different and will have a lot of effect on the numbers

muddinmetal said:
A 6.0 will make 495 hp with a gm hot cam, headers, and a cam.... you'd be LUCKY to see 425 with that same set up in fuel injected form. It is easily possible to see 385 with a set up like you are talking, but that is about it without more work

i think the 495 hp out of a 6.0 with a cam, headers, and tune is a little high. unless you mean an LS2.