• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 ls motor vs 5.7 lt1

Warewolf SD

I have a 5.7 lt1 from a Silverado in my buggy now but some issues in running into make me wonder if a 5.3 might be a better solution. My concern is that the 5.3 wont fit in the same space as the 5.7 sits now. I'm mostly concerned with the width at the headers and dont have a 5.3 for comparison yet. Does anybody know if there is a physical size difference between the two motors.
Thanks

Sorry its a 5.7 pre vortec. Often times people I'm around refer to them as lt1's. Its from a 94 pickup. Unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to post pics.

Yes TBI 5.7 but has a TPI from a Camaro. Throttle body was gone when I got it. Thought it was going to be cost effective motor for me but getting it running the way I want may end up costing more than a takeout 5.3. or 6.0 for that matter.
Thanks again
Rob

I need to know if it will fit without serious mods to my chassis and then I'd have get it to Cali. But I'm not saying no.

Truck_engine_dimensions_1.gif

A truck pan has an 8" deep sump by itself. That can't be accurate on the lower dimension. I think he's concerned about the header width or manifolds.

That one looks a little more accurate. I only know because I had to deal with the oil pan bullshit when I put an l33 in my 67 GTO.

pholmann said:
That one looks a little more accurate. I only know because I had to deal with the oil pan bullshit when I put an l33 in my 67 GTO.

No, I agree. That doesn't look like a truck pan though. It looks like it might be the car pan that is such a common swap?

Here's a truck pan:

12640745_side1.jpg

patooyee said:
No, I agree. That doesn't look like a truck pan though. It looks like it might be the car pan that is such a common swap?

Here's a truck pan:

12640745_side1.jpg

That's what threw me off. The first one you posted obviously had a truck intake but the pan didn't look like a truck pan.

patooyee said:
Here's another one. Take your pick on how much you trust Google:

5.3+Front+Dimensions.jpg

This one is correct, at least to the 02 5.3 I have. My workbench is 24" wide and it sticks out a few inches past it turned sideways under it.

Awesome. As always Hardliners nail it. Looks like that might be a fix. Im still a little worried about the headers. I only have a little over a quarter clearance with the block hugger shortys the way it sits now.
Unless somebody knows of a low profile distributor I could use and just go carb and dizzy with it. I only have 5 and 3/4 inches from the top of my intake manifold to install a distributor and plug wires.
Anybody have a shorty distruibutor?
And Thanks again all.

Warewolf SD said:
Awesome. As always Hardliners nail it. Looks like that might be a fix. Im still a little worried about the headers. I only have a little over a quarter clearance with the block hugger shortys the way it sits now.
Unless somebody knows of a low profile distributor I could use and just go carb and dizzy with it. I only have 5 and 3/4 inches from the top of my intake manifold to install a distributor and plug wires.
Anybody have a shorty distruibutor?
And Thanks again all.

No distributor on a 5.3.

If clearance is an issue you could use a car intake and lose several inches on the top side. Ls1,ls2,ls4,and ls6 intakes fit