• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 overheat issue

zayne2427

There's only one way to find out
Rode last weekend and had an overheating issue. Few weeks back I changes out the mechanical temp gauge and temp sensor in bottom of the block. I know I lost a ton of coolant and of course entered air. Long story short not sure if I still have an air issue or something more sever like head gasket. All the head gaskets I've seen is a steady flow of bubbles.
Anything below 190 and no bubbles at all ( thermostat closed) above 190 and bubbles are slow and then above 205 it's like a dang volcano. But as soon as I turn the fan back on it immediately quits. Never seen one do this. I let it go through several cycles over an HR period of idleing.
https://youtu.be/bmZRY_P-jeY

Damnit..... Thats what I figured... Rebuild or 6.0
This motor is supposed to have an ls6 cam, springs, tune, and new crank.

zayne2427 said:
Rode last weekend and had an overheating issue. Few weeks back I changes out the mechanical temp gauge and temp sensor in bottom of the block. I know I lost a ton of coolant and of course entered air. Long story short not sure if I still have an air issue or something more sever like head gasket. All the head gaskets I've seen is a steady flow of bubbles.
Anything below 190 and no bubbles at all ( thermostat closed) above 190 and bubbles are slow and then above 205 it's like a dang volcano. But as soon as I turn the fan back on it immediately quits. Never seen one do this. I let it go through several cycles over an HR period of idleing.
https://youtu.be/bmZRY_P-jeY

Did it overheat before changing the temp sensor?

I believe it was running warm before. I didn't have 45 min run time on the buggy before I tore it down and started upgrading everything.

Sounds like to me it would be a lot cheaper to just pull both heads and have them checked and put new gaskets on and rock out! Especially since it's already cammed and tuned for that setup. :dunno:

zukimaster said:
Sounds like to me it would be a lot cheaper to just pull both heads and have them checked and put new gaskets on and rock out! Especially since it's already cammed and tuned for that setup. :dunno:

Yeah I'll prob do that first

Curious what year it is? I think the 04-05 range had the Mexican cast heads on most. Known for cracking around a few of the bolt areas.

I talked with Ben that built it and he said it was from an 04 with 60,000 miles when he put it in.
Installed an ls6 cam, bee hive springs, tune, and put a crank in it

Whatever I do will have a few more ponies that what I did have. I was planning on putting a turbo on this motor... Plans change though. Just another bump in the road