• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.7 TBI Motor swap Questions

Metalbender

-=WTF=-
I am rebuilding a 1989 5.7 chev TBI 350 and putting it my heep. What do I need to as far as the computer mods go? The motor will be bored .030 and small rv cam
Also fuel pump, O2 sensors ext

cool you have your own site

It's not my site. The moderator there Bill USN-1 is probably the most knowledeable person you will ever meet about these TBI swaps. Just like any other site though it's important that you read the FAQ and don't expect to be spoon feed. If you try to help yourself Bill will help you also.:awesomework:

I learned a lot at Binder's site. Bill USN1 stops in here every now and then also.

I swapped a AMC 401 into a YJ and I swapped a Chevy 350 into a TJ. Both run GM throttle body efi.

The TH400 makes it easy if it's an GM style transmission (AMC also used TH400s).

You'll need to work into consideration motor mounts, exhaust, increased cooling capacity, etc.

If you need to, Howell (or others) can get you new injectors that will support more horse power, or a bigger throttle body if you're moving more air. New heads would make a big difference. New intakes are not that expensive if you're getting new heads.

I think I will get the 96ish vortec heads and intake, from a junk yard and use the 454 tbi injectors and or whole throttle body

Your engine will need to be built to handle the increase in air and fuel. You'll also need a new PROM chip so the computer will run the 454 stuff.

If you need to, Howell (or others) can get you new injectors that will support more horse power.

It still won't support more than about 400 with all of the aftermarket stuff maxed out. It's not a matter of more fuel it's a matter of the injectors not being able to support idle speeds and the top end at the same time.

I think I will get the 96ish vortec heads and intake, from a junk yard and use the 454 tbi injectors and or whole throttle body

I've got a '97 5.7 sitting in my garage with a cracked block that I would really like to not see anymore. Not sure how much the owner was supposed to get for the core price, but I can find out if you want.

It still won't support more than about 400 with all of the aftermarket stuff maxed out. It's not a matter of more fuel it's a matter of the injectors not being able to support idle speeds and the top end at the same time.

If you're building a 350 for over 400hp, you putting a whole new top end on w/ higher compression pistons. If you want an EFI to go with it, you're buying a complete aftermarket system, not trying to make a OEM system work. Keep it simple, a stock factory 5.7 TBI will move your jeep just fine.:awesomework:

If you want an EFI to go with it, you're buying a complete aftermarket system, not trying to make a OEM system work.

You don't need aftermarket necessarily you just need more injectors but yeah I understand what you're trying to say........And I do have the maxed out 400ish HP TBI 350 but I don't have a Jeep.:;

I've got a '97 5.7 sitting in my garage with a cracked block that I would really like to not see anymore. Not sure how much the owner was supposed to get for the core price, but I can find out if you want.

I would be interested I will need to check with( I think bill at harris peformance) he knows his ****...
how much??

If you're building a 350 for over 400hp, you putting a whole new top end on w/ higher compression pistons. If you want an EFI to go with it, you're buying a complete aftermarket system, not trying to make a OEM system work. Keep it simple, a stock factory 5.7 TBI will move your jeep just fine.:awesomework:

Yes I am rebuilding the whole motor punched .030 over good pistons balanced, small rv cam ect. You just cant get more than 240hp out of the motor with out changing the heads. I am not looking to build a monster but I am shooting for 350hp and 400 toque. If i fall short it will be ok. also i am going to have Harris performance make me a chip to accommodate the mods i do to the motor