• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5 ATS TRANNYS IN 32 MONTHS

COLT

I'm on a boat.
I am having some SERIOUS problems with ATS. Has anyone else had the same issues that I have had. Keep in mind this happened with an 2006 2WD 48re no mods!

Trans 1. TC went out metal in pan(chunks)
Trans 2. Valve body replacement and washers in the tail shaft metal in pan
Trans 3. Loose shifting and lots of metal chunks in the pan
Trans 4. Metal in pan, lots of out of pocket shop visits and TC went out
Trans 5. Recieved trans 5 with bad sensors installed had to replace them as well as the sensor in the tail shaft and then broke a 2 piece pressed billet input shaft.(non modded truck)...

Is this all normal for ATS???

Is it normal to call ATS and never get a response back???

Is it normal to get stuck with the bill at a shop they tell you to visit and tell you they will pay for it?

They have a great warranty but is that because they build a sub par trans and they know you will use the warranty?

I am putting my full story together along with the pictures of the metal in my pan and the different stuff that I had to deal with while being involved with ATS. I will need to go through at least 20 or 30 emails to see how many of them were unanswered as well as my phone call logs. I spent 6000 bucks to put an ATS tranny in my truck and as you can see from above it did not work out so great. I am not trying to bash anyone I am simply telling all of you to the best of my ability what I have been through in the last 32 months. I put over 130000 miles on my stock trans...How come I never got more than 25000 out of an ATS? Is this normal??? Please let me know what you all think. Let me know if it were you, what you folks would be doing in my shoes. I tried speaking with Clint Cannon the owner of ATS, but he soon started ignoring my emails. I have tried everything in my power to work out my situation with ATS but have'nt anywhere else to go. I had to eventually go to another builder whom I will keep under my hat so as to not think I am "plugging them" for this post..This was done because I submitted a phone call broke down on the side of the road and did not recieve one ounce of help in what I should do(they were ignoring my issue) for 4 days only after they were aware I was having another builder fix it... Any input would be great of any of the forum members dealings with ATS that have turned out this way. I hope I am in this boat alone but I am sure I got some company..

Thanks To All and stay tuned there will be a large thread with detailed descriptions and pictures coming soon of what I have been through in the last 32 months.

All my friends that have run them say they are **** and ended up having Jeff Garmon at Garmons diesel build their transmissions.

i spent 10 grand on the best **** they have and broke everything in it twice in 6 months. i had jeff garmon build my full stand alone ats trans ha. i would laugh if their shop burnt to the ground. they are a joke.

I will keep yall up to date as to what happens. The diesel forums have taken this and ran with it hard... Colt

My grandpa had ATS build him a trans for his 06 Cummins. He also got there flywhel and torque convertor, the day he sold it he was driving it in to wash it and all flywheel ripped in half. They said the knew about the problem. They did send him a new and improved flywheel.

COLT said:
I will keep yall up to date as to what happens. The diesel forums have taken this and ran with it hard... Colt
What forums are you on? I just bought a 2001 Dodge and need somewhere to go for info. Im glad I saw your post here, I have been putting back some cash for an ATS tranny, but not now. Probly gonna get Jeff Garmon to build one. I have already had rebuilt about 5000 miles ago, but its not gonna last I can tell already.

FroggF350 said:
What forums are you on? I just bought a 2001 Dodge and need somewhere to go for info. Im glad I saw your post here, I have been putting back some cash for an ATS tranny, but not now. Probly gonna get Jeff Garmon to build one. I have already had rebuilt about 5000 miles ago, but its not gonna last I can tell already.

Cumminsforum.com is a good place to start. I had an auto in my 03 and traded it for my 05 with a 6 spd. I have learned quite a bit from that forum and specifically a guy on there that goes by the name of: cerberusiam. He is in Georgia and apparently has a lot of cummins experience.

FroggF350 said:

Cumminsforum.com 3rd gen powertrain and 3rd gen performance parts turned the heat up today on clint cannon and he did not respond they closed the posts but they are still available for viewing. apparantly I dont "know" the right people to keep it going any longer one was about 8 pages long and the other almost 5 happy viewing and stay away from ATS

I WOULD NOT RUN ATS PARTS IF THEY WERE FREE. PURPLE IS SLOW. I HAVE BROKEN THEIR CONVERTERS BILLET SHAFTS AND BURNT THEIR **** UP. THEY HAVE COST ME TONS MONEY AND I TRY TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THEY SUCK

I have been happy with my SunCoast transmission in my Duramax. Great people to deal with also.

FroggF350 said:
What happened to the Allison? I have always heard the Duramax trucks had the best trannys out.

I killed the Allison by stacking programmers on it and drag racing. Everything has a limit, It held up great for the abuse I gave it. Finally anything over the stock HP setting and it would limp out. I've had my Suncoast for almost 2 years and it has worked great, run my 300hp tune all day long.

Cole said:
I killed the Allison by stacking programmers on it and drag racing. Everything has a limit, It held up great for the abuse I gave it. Finally anything over the stock HP setting and it would limp out. I've had my Suncoast for almost 2 years and it has worked great, run my 300hp tune all day long.

Yeah i love my Suncoast. I am hoping to get the same kind of service out of mine as you have. It is so different than the ATS I had. It actually shifts and performs like a beefed up transmission rather than some crappy slush box. My buddy Lucas just got one too, he loves it.