• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

52 inch front springs.. help

78cj.fullwith

Any info on doing a 52 inch spring swap on the front of a mid 80s Chevy truck would be helpful. Found kit from diy4x4 but looking for pros and cons I have read some stuff but for every good I read two bad. Any info would be nice...thanks

I run them on the front of my 69 blazer, and my dad has them on the front his 90 sas 4runner, but like the guys said you will get axle wrap so a torque fork is a must. I would always recommend something to keep the pinion angle stable on any leaf spring setup.
I like how they work, but they are kinda soft on road. We made our own mounts so I have nothing for you on the kit.

Lots of info on it on pirate, really popular swap on there. I am planning on doing it on my short crew project. Never heard of anyone talking about axle wrap though, I have done a lot of reading just never got into the installation.

Not saying you want have any, but just not heard much mention of it. Crossover steering or hydro is a must because of the amount of flex/droop, and a long travel front drive shaft.

I had a link saved somewhere to ColoradoK5 that had a lot of the pros/cons of the swap I'll try to dig up

I HAD LONGER SPRINGS AND ANTI WRAP PERCHES FROM ruff stuff :dblthumb: :dblthumb:never really had any troubles good joints and let her bounce if she wants to :****: :****:

I run 52" springs and the ride quality is awesome. I have to run a 1410 yoke on the axle because there is a TON of axle wrap. Hasn't broken anything yet but id suggest running 3/4 ubolts and do a third stud into the axle housing.

DSC02475.jpg

I've been running 52's in the front for over 5 years. I didn't buy the fancy DIY B52 or whatever they're called brackets. I just moved the front perch forward and lengthened the rear shackle until I got a good shackle angle. I run a set of overloads from a 56" pack at the bottom of the spring stack. I turned the long end forward (56's have an offset pin) like a slapper bar. Controls axle wrap good enough for me.
By the way, that's a 79 K5 frame under there.

mrdrinksalil said:
I run 52" springs and the ride quality is awesome. I have to run a 1410 yoke on the axle because there is a TON of axle wrap. Hasn't broken anything yet but id suggest running 3/4 ubolts and do a third stud into the axle housing.

DSC02475.jpg

I feel bad for those leaf springs!!! :eek:

Sumbitch will flex for a stock Chevrolet. But now that I think about it, I havn't broken anything due to axle wrap other than the time the whole front axle came out from under the truck in Hale Mnt parking lot. Again, upgrade mounting bolts to at least 9/16 and spring center pins to 1/2. Ubolts 5/8 minimum and tighten them every time you fill the fuel tank.

BTW. Getting that rear shackle angle correct is also important for axle wrap, and travel.