• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

NTIDWELL said:
Had same issues welded it back up then puck split rewelded everything on tank no more issues mine was built out of 1/4" aluminum and inside wasn't welded it is now minus very top section Luckily both times this has happened a bar of soap got me through

Before mine was rebuilt outta 1/4" ( I had a bladder put in as well) I sealed mine back up and a buddies RCI with a big bar of laffy taffy. First time I used soap and it lasted the rest of the day but, went back to leaking. Next day I used laffy taffy on mine and my buddy`s rig and rode two days on it. Sounds crazy but, that laffy taffy works damn good.

Yep. Straight up Laffy Taffy. The big bar. Not the little individual single pieces (course they might work to but they don`t seem as stiff as the big bars) . I promise you I keep one in my little trail bag in my Jeep. If you have to use it you`ll throw the soap in the trash. We was in Harlan and it kept two of us riding for two more days with two RCI fuel cells cracked all the way down the corner seam. Year or so before that we used it on our buddy Karl`s ranger with a custom cell. I was just standing there at the entrance of Mason Jar watching fuel run out of his cell eating a bar and we said hell lets try it. He rode rest of the weekend as well that trip.

truckbroke said:
Yep. Straight up Laffy Taffy. The big bar. Not the little individual single pieces (course they might work to but they don`t seem as stiff as the big bars) . I promise you I keep one in my little trail bag in my Jeep. If you have to use it you`ll throw the soap in the trash. We was in Harlan and it kept two of us riding for two more days with two RCI fuel cells cracked all the way down the corner seam. Year or so before that we used it on our buddy Karl`s ranger with a custom cell. I was just standing there at the entrance of Mason Jar watching fuel run out of his cell eating a bar and we said hell lets try it. He rode rest of the weekend as well that trip.

This is awesome. We used the JB Quik fuel tank repair on a buddy's cracked RCI and it worked like dog ****.

LOL I guess its because the taffy is pliable and doesn`t break down like the soap does and moves with the crack. I hope I don`t have to use it again but, I keep a bar just in case.

Re:

Meeting and talking to you about your tank has me thinking I'm going with steel. Bye the way nice meeting yea.
I'm wondering if you could spring load the bolts with some coil springs and bigger washers. I did it once on core support of a square body Chevy. Might look a little hack, but could give a little room if there is chassis flex.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If laffy taffy doesn't break down with gas, I'm pretty sure I'm not eating it again! Awesome trail fix for sure. I think I read John G had something to do with fuel tank leaks and using straps instead of bolting tabs down was the fix. Good info in here.

grcthird said:
If laffy taffy doesn't break down with gas, I'm pretty sure I'm not eating it again! Awesome trail fix for sure. I think I read John G had something to do with fuel tank leaks and using straps instead of bolting tabs down was the fix. Good info in here.

That is how I feel about starburst, that crap is basically chewable plastic blocks... It can't be good for ya

Hardest part really is wasting a good piece of laffy taffy on a fuel cell. Almost as bad as pouring beer on a buggy fire. lol

Re:

For a dummy, how do you apply it? I haven't ever done the soap trick, but im guessing its the same?

We had 3 RCIs bust at Dixie Run 3 years ago. Ended up using jb weld covered in rubber mat or alum angle to seal it up.

Same way as soap. Just run it up and down the seam applying pressure. It`ll start coming apart but just keep rubbing it in till the leak stops. As it gets tacky it`ll be packing into the seam. It`ll be a slimy mess in your hands when your done but you`ll be back riding.

Waffle said:
To be honest, I chose that after searching stainless steels for fuel tanks in the boat industry. 314L kept popping up and I centered my decision there. It's in the 300 series family and I suppose there might be other alloys that could possibly be better or just as good for less cost. IDK at this point, I'll have to look into it more. You make a valid point. Perhaps I didn't research this enough.

Just word of advice when having a stainless tank built make sure the person welding it purges the inside so there is no sugaring or burn through. Been in the stainless game for years in the food industry building silos running process piping you name it anything you eat or drink i have touched. Stainless can go sour real fast. If properly done with it being purged, it shouldn't be a issue. But if there is cheddar on the inside or burn through with out the purge i would personally be afraid of the same issue you are having with the aluminum cracking. 316L is used in more high corrosive enviroments because it has a higher nickle content and the fact it has molybdenum which prevents it from breaking down in the corrosive enviroment to where 304l over time will break down and start pitting and cracking because of less nickle content and 0 molybdenum. This all may be way over the head but just throwing it out there for consideration.

I feel like we was camped behind you at harlan memorial weekend. Was in the red chevy with welder in the bed with the enclosed trailer that looked like a smashed beer can and the green buggy. We was in the bigger open gravel lot by the pond.

Send me a drawing of the tank and i will quote it. Im just north west of columbus ohio and carry 2 million dollar liability insurance on the business.

stuftmunky2k said:
Send me a drawing of the tank and i will quote it. Im just north west of columbus ohio and carry 2 million dollar liability insurance on the business.
I'm working in Wooster, OH on the Rover pipeline right now. If you do any Sunday wheeling and want some company let me know. I've got my RZR up here and a new buggy in progress.

My cell is 19 gal built out of 304 s/s. Just as tabs in the corners bolting it to the floor it has two baffles and is tig welded on the outside only. Has a spot for a in tank pump in the center. I build it on my lunch breaks at work out of 16ga if i rember right. Iv been running it for about 8 or 9 years now. Has let to spring a leak.

Sorry to detour your thread but I just realized who you are I seen you guys several times at Harlan. I was in the lil single seat crawler at the lower rock garden. It was good talking to ya and good luck with your fuel cell.