• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 chevy

Jim's will only weed out a stock harness for you. I used Pacific Fabrication, they offer a new harness, made to order. Very nice work.

Schwankeshortblocks.com They just built my buddy Erik an ls3 stroker. They offer new complete harness with fuel pump for around $750. I would stay away from Jim's for tuning.

jbturbo said:
I would stay away from Jim's for tuning.

I agree and will say I would stay away from most any mail order tuner. Find a dyno, or at least a tuner that can come to your vehicle and tune on it.

jbturbo said:
Schwankeshortblocks.com They just built my buddy Erik an ls3 stroker. They offer new complete harness with fuel pump for around $750. I would stay away from Jim's for tuning.

I would stay away from Schwanke for a "new" motor. Erik's and Carls both came with garbage junkyard parts on them.

As far as the tune though, I am not sure anyone has it down like these guys do. I am impressed with what they can turn out.

Jims Performance is the best for harness mods and work. He is fast and does great work and the price is right. Jim only sets a tune up at first to get you going. ANYONE who doesnt have a shop who specializes in custom tunes work on thier rig after the initial tune is just not making a smart choice.

I had jim go thru my stock 6.0L harness and i would choose him again any day of the week and TWICE on sundays!!!!!!!! Hands down the best place to send your harness.

wngrog said:
I would stay away from Schwanke for a "new" motor. Erik's and Carls both came with garbage junkyard parts on them.

As far as the tune though, I am not sure anyone has it down like these guys do. I am impressed with what they can turn out.

I assume you are talking about the coilpacks. I discussed this with Tim Schwanke and he said that they do install used coils unless you specify that you want new. The factory coils are much more reliable. Erik ponied up $600 for MSD coils and has had two go bad no warranty on them either. We switched back to the stock used coils and haven't had any issues.

MSD coils are a joke. Stock for the win. The stock coils have been low 7's in the 1/4 @200+mph. That equates to around 2000 crank HP. So they'll work on a damn rock crawler I'd believe lol.

jbturbo said:
I assume you are talking about the coilpacks. I discussed this with Tim Schwanke and he said that they do install used coils unless you specify that you want new. The factory coils are much more reliable. Erik ponied up $600 for MSD coils and has had two go bad no warranty on them either. We switched back to the stock used coils and haven't had any issues.

When Carl got his turn-key Shwanke motor, it had 2 bad coils and 2 bad injectors. It was a 10,000 motor and they used junk yard parts in it.

He even went up to Schwanke from Mississippi to have it Dyno tuned and they did not help him with it.

I say they are good at tuning, but as a business they suck.

Hmmmm, lots of opinions . I just last night got my 6.0L rolled truck home. Yanking EVERYTHING today. Im listening / reading thumb.gif

I suggest finding someone within driving distance to have it dyno tuned in the rig. That is what I will be doing next year when I finish my 6.0 rear engine 2 seater.

Kinda random, but also along the same lines. I've been looking online for a full engine gasket set and havent had much luck. Anyone ran into that ? Mines an 01 LQ4

P said:
Kinda random, but also along the same lines. I've been looking online for a full engine gasket set and havent had much luck. Anyone ran into that ? Mines an 01 LQ4
It's because there isn't really a "gasket" kit, like you'd buy for a sbc or ford. Almost everything on them is reusable. I've never once replaced a intake gasket, timing cover gasket, rear cover gasket, ect. If it ain't leaking, don't change it lol. I've re used the water pump gaskets a hundred times. The only thing you will need to replace is the head gaskets. If you're pulling the heads for some reason. Also you'll want to get new head bolts if you do pull the heads. And not a bad idea to change the rear main seal while its on the engine stand.

corey said:
It's because there isn't really a "gasket" kit, like you'd buy for a sbc or ford. Almost everything on them is reusable. I've never once replaced a intake gasket, timing cover gasket, rear cover gasket, ect. If it ain't leaking, don't change it lol. I've re used the water pump gaskets a hundred times. The only thing you will need to replace is the head gaskets. If you're pulling the heads for some reason. Also you'll want to get new head bolts if you do pull the heads. And not a bad idea to change the rear main seal while its on the engine stand.

Hmm, I guess that explains that. Were these problematic about intake leaks ? That's one I was concerned about?