• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6L80E ???

zeb3

just doing some research on Th400's and came across this with the 4.02 first gear. It seems like a good alternative gearing option but I cant find much info of anyone running them. Is it because of the electronics or the Th400 is tried and true? I was thinking if you ran the 6L80 you could save money and run a stock 205 and still be sitting right with gearing options without having to pay for an atlas or a crawlbox. I'm sure this has been covered but if you have any info I would be interested.

Potential candidate would be behind a 6.0 running 42 treps with 5.38 gears.

There are a few being ran. To my knowledge there isn't a stand alone controller for this transmission as it's solenoid controlled, it can be done just don't know of any. I'd recommend buying an engine transmission and computer from the same vehicle.

Some complain about packaging due to the width.

Which 205 are you planning to run?

I would like to have this and a crawl box in a build. Is it needed no, but you could crawl and go fast in low range.

I have a ford 205 case now and was going to go with the TItan box from NWF. I just thought if I could run the 6L80 I might not need the black box.

I would say it depend on your use. the 6l80e is great with that low first gear, but the electronics add alot of wiring. I am often jealous of my dad and his vacuum operated th400. We dont race we just wheel so they work great.

Pretty sure to do it even remotely economically (or at all) you'd need to run a later model engine and wiring harness /controls to interface the trans.

It's not "just" electric solenoid (on/off)controlled like a 4l80 or AW4, it's actually computer controlled (the solenoids are pwm to act like variable, kinda like a servo valve) from how I understand it.

Hard to beat a th400 for simplicity and low cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy my 6L80. I have it tuned to run tap shift off the steering wheel along with the traditional shifter. You can rev match up shifts. Put a 3 speed hero behind it and you have all kinds of gearing options.

I'd choose the 6L80 again.

pholmann said:
They are high as bird ***** to buy.

Exactly how high are you speaking of? I'm looking at $300-450 for a used unknown condition Th400 all the way up to 600-1500 for a Rebuilt/New tranny.

Dookey, Do you have any pictures of your setup?

zeb3 said:
Exactly how high are you speaking of? I'm looking at $300-450 for a used unknown condition Th400 all the way up to 600-1500 for a Rebuilt/New tranny.

My tap shift works via RF. So there are no cords to bind up.

Steeringwheel4.jpg

6L80 in place.

6L80eoutput.jpg

3 speed behind that.

Hero3.jpg

I run a winters shifter to control the back and forth. The tune is pretty legit. It will stay in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd when in tap shift mode. Same on the regular shifter.

zeb3 said:

I'm not talking about th400's. I'm talking about 6l80 setups.