• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

700R4 Help Needed

Bobbo3234

Ok, in my jeep is a 700r4 w/ 23 spline output that was used to bolt up to an NP231 t-case. I have overheated this transmission in the past and want to replace it if possible. I want to swap in a 700r4 w/ 27 spline output to use with my doubler. I could change the input of the transfer case if needed to get me by.

So I have a 700r4 w/ a 27 spline output but the bellhousing is not the same as what is already in the jeep. The bellhousing for the one in the jeep goes 2-3 inches forward of the torque converter while the one i was hoping to install is pretty much flush with the torque converter and will not bolt up.

The one already in the jeep has a "V" stamped on the case while the one i want to put in has a "K". Searching the internet has come up empty to this point. Does anyone have any insight on this.

Thanks,
Bobby

All i know is the k cases are supposedly burlier, Dont know if its a th350/400 or a 700r4 thing..Im more of a ford guy.

When you install the TC, it has to "click" into the pump 2 times, this should set the TC about 1½" behind the mounting flange. The K forging means it was originally in a 4x4 truck which is a stronger case. Prolly a Chevy mounting pattern. The V forging is prolly a smaller pattern for the 60° v6. What engine is in your Jeep?

These letters are stamped? or cast into the outside of the bellhousing?

OK, this was the problem. It seems that the TC i purchased doesn't fit. Maybe a wrong spline count.

Next question, for the spline count for the TC should i be counting the splines on the larger diameter part of the shaft or the smaller diameter.

I counted the larger diameter and came up with 27 spline. Is the spline count on the smaller diameter different???

got it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: