• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

76 ford 460 no spark until i let off the key

1bigtj

i have a 76 ford 460 and it was running fine. i pressure washed the motor and now it wont start. it is getting fuel but has no spark until you release the key after cranking it. any ideas why it would have no spark while turning it over but has spark when the key is released?
any help would be great
thanks

If I'm not mistaken didn't the power for the ignition come off the starter relay on the older fords? I know the old gm's did that to boost the ignition to 12 volt bypassing the ballast resistor while cranking...

so that would just be the starter solenoid? yeah i believe your right that it boost the voltage. so would that be the solenoid?

Unless someone clipped the stock 90* connector off there should be one on each small post on the solenoid. You should be able to tell at a glance.

put new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, blew out the dist with air. i will check the starter solenoid. it tries to start when i let off the key.

Exact same problem i had with a bronco one time. The key switch it self was rotating to far, so when i let the key rotate back it would fire as the engine was coming to a stop.

You prob just got water in the dist cap. dry it out with some carb cleaner and wipe it out.

Actually good 'ol WD40 is still one of the best water dispersing chemicals I have found to date:D...spray into cap, and distributor base, and then wipe it out, or blow dry......if that is the issue. Sounds like the ignition module took a crap though.