• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

8.8 vs. Dana 44

Avanteone said:
PS, I also normally stock a few 8.8's complete. You're in Edgewood, I am in Milton... you're welcome to come and check out my rig, or stop by for a beer and BS session.

John

Actually I was dead set on putting a D44 until I talked to you at Dave's Restuarant now I am leaning towards the 8.8. I was going to wait until my warranty expired, but yesterday I had the Jeep in the shop and it seems that the excessive scratches on the exterior of my Jeep voids the warranty, 16k miles on it and almost nothing is covered. I told them that I thought it was trail rated, the Jeep is but the warranty isn't.

Jaydog said:
Actually I was dead set on putting a D44 until I talked to you at Dave's Restuarant now I am leaning towards the 8.8. I was going to wait until my warranty expired, but yesterday I had the Jeep in the shop and it seems that the excessive scratches on the exterior of my Jeep voids the warranty, 16k miles on it and almost nothing is covered. I told them that I thought it was trail rated, the Jeep is but the warranty isn't.

What friggin' dealer are you taking it to? Roberts Jeep in Auburn is "offroad friendly". They can't void your entire warranty because of scratches. They can void the transmission/drivetrain etc. /w larger lift and tires, etc.... but if a heater core goes bad they still have to cover it.. follow me? If you've got warranty issues, I'd take it to Roberts, and if you need more help let me know as I know the guys down there pretty good.

J

Jaydog said:

pure bullcrap..... Thats not right....

junkyard jim said:
My question is this: Is the 8.8 higher friction than a D44? I hear people swapping them (mostly with D35s, but some D44s as well) and fuel economy drops sharply. Even with the same ratio.
My gas mileage went down a bit last week on the way to Moab as compared to last year.........but I attribute that to the extra weight of an 8.8 vs a D35. ;)

Yea, Gibby told me last night to try Roberts, I figured since I bought it from Milam (cash to boot) that they would treat me right, I guessed wrong. So I will try to get down to Robert's. My rear main is leaking, they said it was seeping and that it was normal, OK. There is some sensor on my gas tank that is out, thus the engine light, but there is a small dent on my tank so it isn't covered either, that one I can maybe accept. The original reason that I took it in was that my zippers broke on my window, so I have been driving around with an open window, so I call them and they say "yes" it is covered, I take it down there and when I go pick it up they say that it is all scratched up and that it isn't covered, I reply aren't the scratches on the outside and the zippers are on the inside, I could understand if I stuck a branch through it, but the zippers just wore out and quit working.

Sorry to get off topic, I am still leaning towards the 8.8

Last edited:
Here is a 31 spline explorer 8.8 shaft next to a 28 spline 8.8/7.5 ford shaft. A 28 spline ford shaft is stronger than a D35 shaft, and the 8.8 31 spline is stronger yet. I quickly mic'd it and got 1.35 on the main and 1.3 on the spline neckdown. I don't have a D44 shaft to compair it to. Other than it being c-clip, and some spinning the tubes... it's a solid beefy part for under 38" tires, expecially in ranger based vehicles with small motors. Most of the broken 8.8s I've seen have been under fullsize trucks running 38 or larger tires. Weight + Power + Large tire = dead.

31-spline-shaft.jpg

31-spline-close.jpg

yeah, my cheap camera sucks.