• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

80 Build Begins..

Rcbro

Well I got the truck in the shop this past weekened for the tear down. Pulling off the knuckles to rebuild them, replacing the wheel bearings and installing new brakes. Since its my first build I'm trying to stay as clean and organized as possible.

Picture016.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Brakes should be here today and I'll be making a trip to Sky's hopefully thursday. Then the weekened will be a junk yard run. (hopefully... finals next week)

As mentioned, I'm new at this, and have no friends who wheel, or know anything of the sort, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants. But it should be fun. I apologize for all the questions :lol:

Got the knuckles pulled off and ball joints cleaned. Knuckles are hitting the clean tank tonight, and got the rest of my parts from the clean tank today. Not much, but heres some pics to stare at.

Picture103.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Sears had a sell and I picked up a 155 piece Craftsman set. So I got some tools now too :lol:

Picture112.jpg

your missing a lug nut on the left side of the surgical (sp) table :eeek: Too clean and organized for me:haha: I like to loose things so I have an excuse to go get more parts. Take your time and Have fun. Theres a great joy in fixing and doing things yourself:D

your missing a lug nut on the left side of the surgical (sp) table :eeek: Too clean and organized for me:haha: I like to loose things so I have an excuse to go get more parts. Take your time and Have fun. Theres a great joy in fixing and doing things yourself:D

im the same way, try and start out organized but half way through i get lazy and loose stuff hahahaa

Hey man i was in the same boat as you when i started into the sport, just keep at it:awesomework:

Looks like you're getting a good start on preping the rig for duty. I always like to begin a build with routine maintenance (aka every item in the book). Wheel bearings and brakes are a good start. A good fluid change and zerks lubed. Add a tuneup and you have something good and dependable to then mod further.

So, what are the plans? Tire size? Lift? Other mods?
Make sure you get some "before" pics ... always nice to look back and see what you started with and how it progresses.

Oh, and put your city in the location of your profile, you might get some hands to help if ya need it (or a specialized tool or ...)

Enjoy the build!

One of the studs broke when I was taking the fronts off. So thats why I'm missing one :redneck:

I live in lyons oregon.

Plans are Rears up front with sky hanger, chevies in the rear with sky kit.

Heres my shopping list:

Front
Sky Toy-SAS-003 Price $550
Includes:
Front Hanger
rear frame bushings and sleeve
wide body shackles
U-Bolt Flip Kit
High Steer Kit
Hardware

Sky Heavy Duty IFS Mount kit $35
IFS Steering Box $135.00
Sky front shock hoops $49
Springs, rears mixed with (waggys or mazdas)
Front Total: $769

Rear
Sky Chevy Swap Kit $120
63" Chevies Free
Skys U-Bolt Flip kit $60
Rear total: $180

MISC.
Trail Gear Brake Line kit $69
Trail Gear Steering stabilizer $79
4 Bilstein 5125 12" shocks

Think I'm going to pick up some diff armor and gussets and some sliders too..

He's just a hater because he knows it will out wheel his buggy when you get done. :D

Looks like a nice clean truck to start with. Have fun with it.

What's your basis for considering this a "polished turd"? (aka Why the hate, and hows about a constructive comment)

We all polish our own "turds". I just polished my junkyard D60's. It's all relative I guess.

I was the 1st runner up at the 2005 Playa-Hatas-Bawl, so I have the credentials to hate all I want. :fawkdancesmiley:

Dam I got a good lookin turd I guess.

Anyways, I called Sky's today and racked up my bill. I'll be getting my stuff from them thursday and I should be making my trail gear order tonight.

I went to the shop and removed the front axle and most of the stuff I need to remove. Still got to take off the steering box, but I broke my pitman arm puller so I need to get another.

Pretty much just need to cut off the old brackets now and were golden.

Anyways, I went to sky's today and picked up my parts.Don't know what half this stuff is, but I'm sure I'll figure it out haha I'm a noob :confused: :D. Enjoy the pics

Picture127.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Picture140.jpg

UPS called me and my Trail Gear order will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to tackle this

I figure if you cant take it apart and throw it all in one box and then put it back together,, you shouldnt have taken it apart

:cool:

Latest posts