• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

84 toyota 22r charging problem

SLIPPY

Hey guys i need a little input. I have a 84 toy wheeler. 87 22r motor. im fairly mechanically inclined but a little stumped and frustrated with a simple charging issue.

heres the scoop. New battery/terminals/cables, new alternator. Ive tried 2 voltage regulators (used) checked all my plugs/wires/fuses. Infact, some time ago i rolled the rig on its top and caught on fire. Burnt all the wiring under the hood, so that gave me the opportunity to re-wire the rig myself..nice and cleanly. this was several years ago so the problem, i believe does not lie with wiring. My question here is has anyone ever had a faulty distributor short out the regulator? my distributor works fine. Theres 5 wires going to the regulator. Looks like 3 go to the alternator, and 2 go to the distributor. So im guessing the distributor gets power from the regulator? and voltage from the coil. Would this equate to a charging issue?. Am i overlooking something here>>? its very possible that i got a bad alternator from the store....or the 2 regulator i tried are both bad, but not conclucing that yet. So much for wheelin at rimrock this weekend :/

Charge light come on? I had an issue in my 85 where the connection between the charge light and the alternator failed, no charge because the circuit was open.

What exactly is your problem? Not getting enough charge? Too much charge? Have you tested the alternator? Shucks/Oreillys does free testing. I believe they can also test your regulator for you.

speaking of electrical problems in toyotas maybe someone will know the answer to this one as well i am not too worried about it but i always like answers that explain ****.......

82 toyota pickup 22r i checked power everywhere everything is what it should maybe even alittle better # wise but not out of proper range... anyway my charge light is always on.....

a person told me once that sometimes when the alt is changed and adds a little more juice then the system is used to the light comes on but i am not an electrician so im not sure what causes this

What exactly is your problem? Not getting enough charge? Too much charge? Have you tested the alternator? Shucks/Oreillys does free testing. I believe they can also test your regulator for you.

with my original alternator, it would not charge at all until 25-3000+RPMs. Bought new one from shucks and it wouldnt charge at all, brought it back and it tested bad. Bought another one from napa that test good and still not charging. I can verify this by my gauge and pulling the pos. terminal. Schucks doesnt even list a regulator for our trucks....apparently

What's probly happened here is you've "cooked " some wires. What I would do is follow the wires from the alternator as far as you can through the harness . Go get some good electrical grade tape before you even start. Don't make any excuses not to tear it apart as far as you can .
You may know where some of said "cooking" may have occured ; it may be a draw from another location caused by bared wires comming in contact with ground.
Alot of the damage could also be behind the dash, but I'd probly do everything to the dash and see if it's solved then remove the dash .

Did you replace ALL the wiring ?

Your wiring is bad. Admit it and check your work.

Thanks for your input but my wiring from the fire is NOT bad. i wheeled for 2 or 3 years after i wired it. All my wiring is spot on. Everything worked right 1st time and charged.Now a seperate wiring issue isnt outta the picure...

If you can't figure this yourself, you need to take it to an auto electric shop. Not an everything shop one that just does electrical . They'll be able to tell you where the draw is coming from. They see it all the time .

I been in this situation a few times now> not fun times. One was X4 bad/wrong voltage regulators from 2 different company's, ended up getting a used correct regulator to fix it.

this may help
quote from Identifix

1. Check to see if the vehicle has the correct alternator.
A mechanical regulator vehicle alternator should have an alternator that has the letters BNFE at the plug. A vehicle that uses an IC type regulator uses the alternator with the letters BLFE.

It is very common for the replacement alternators to be incorrect.

Last edited:
I been in this situation a few times now> not fun times. One was X4 bad/wrong voltage regulators from 2 different company's, ended up getting a used correct regulator to fix it.

this may help
quote from Identifix

really, this is very interesting. Are there 2 different 45 amp alternators?

I don't know the Amps.
Toyota used two different systems the electrical plugs at the regulator and the alternator pinout and function differently from each other. I made a cheat sheet to help figure these out but its drawn on the shop wall at my old house. :haha:

my buddy had a similar issue.. sometimes it would charge, sometimes it wouldn't.

he was missing some stupid 4" long ground wire.

he put in this ground wire, and all was good.

and yes, his chassis was well bonded.

my brother had the same problem ended up jsut throwing a chevy one wire on it

This can be done quicker than troubleshooting the old problem.
The 1 wire is cheaper and easier to find.

I dont understand why it took this long for someone to suggest it.

Toyota charging systems SUCK.

my buddy had a similar issue.. sometimes it would charge, sometimes it wouldn't.

he was missing some stupid 4" long ground wire.

he put in this ground wire, and all was good.

and yes, his chassis was well bonded.

this may be my problem actually