• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 Toyota surging and throttle problems (help?)

codey4122

hi my name is Codey and im 17 and I just got a new 85 Toyota 22re it was rebuilt with a big cam and head and a new header put on it. I bought it for cheap and I am gonna try to fix it by myself. Im looking for some pointers in which direction to start checking stuff so heres the problem
It takes a while to get it started cause when I crank it over it fires up then dies. But then when it does that a couple times it barely runs and then it shoots up to like 3k rpm and then it starts its surging from 1k to about 3k and while this is doing that it doesnt have any
Throttle response.I am thinking it could be vacumm issues or somethingg with the fuel. I really would aprrieciate any help. I just want to get this thing going so I can go wheeling! if u need anymore answer and have questions so I can try to get this thing fixed and trouble shootting this let me know I greatly apprieciate it.

Yes its a 22re and im not sure how to check the tps. But I dont understnd when I give it throttle it wont respond? It just keeps doing the surging!

Sounds like a huge vacuum leak. Get a couple cans of carb cleaner and start spraying it on the ends of all the vacuum lines and around the intake where it bolts together and where it bolts to the head. Don't forget the booster, if your brakes are very hard it could be a blown diaphragm causing the leak.

Yes its a 22re and im not sure how to check the tps. But I dont understnd when I give it throttle it wont respond? It just keeps doing the surging!

If you don't have an OBD reader, you might want to pick one up.
I'd just replace the TPS, & the O2, that way you know for sure their new, & you may eliminate the problem.
Looking for vacuum leaks are always good too.

I had a 22RE do this one time after I had the intake manifold off of it. I messed up the paper gasket putting it back on and it was sucking all kinds of air. New gasket fixed it.
Had a different one start surging and it ended up being a vacuum leak on a line for the brake booster. It could really be a whole bunch of things that could cause it.

Thanks everyone for the help im gonna start looking for [YT][/YT]anything I can and try all ur solutions thanks everyone for the help and more help could be used thanks!

Guessing you have a check engine light? pull your codes and see what you got. <---- start here if codes are present 99% of the time.

on an 85 there should be a couple wiring connectors by the coil that dont go anywhere jump TE1 and E1 then count the flashes of the CEL.

My guess would be vacuum leak then TPS but it could be so many things.

If you dont have one a good manual goes along way too.

Good luck you'll get it.

Okay I got the code from the dash and its 47 or idk how to write it . It blinoed 4 times stopped then 7 times. And I cant find what it means

Code 47 is tps. Pull it off and make sure the pin from the throttle shaft is going into the loop right on the tps. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart, its pretty obvious how it ahould be.

Sticky tps, not returning all the way to close the IDL contact will do this.

The tps seems real smooth but u did the electrical tester on it without the plug in it.and it had no current through it.so I think its a faulty tps?

Before buying one I would swap on with a known working one.... Eliminate possibilities without spending money :awesomework:

What have you tested this far? are you checking readings based on the manuals specs?

What does you valve clearance look like, when i picked mine up it was doing the same thing pretty much and the valves were as tight as someone before me could get them, needless to say I couldnt get any size feeler gauge in there fixed the valve clearance and mine ran great after that.