• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

88 F250 Crawler on a budget

After riding along with my local club a lot recently the stock 133" wheelbase is going to be a bit long in the woods and I also bought a 203/205 doubler I'm going to need to build new drivelines for, I'm going to shorten up the wheelbase now so I don't have to build a rear driveshaft twice. Plan is to pull about 10" out of the frame right behind the cab and move the bed bulkhead back and trim the bedsides to fit.

Since my truck is an 80's Ford, the fuel tanks are in rough shape. I recently got a killer deal on a RCI 2150AS sumped 15 gal aluminum cell. I'm going to be mounting it behind the cab in the bed at the same time as I shorten the frame up. Plan is to make a angle iron frame with some thin rubber strips isolating the cell and clamp it down with a top frame. I have a few examples but anyone have any custom mounts similar or should I just copy an artec style mount for my particular cell?

rci-2150as_dz_ml.jpg

The IDI uses a motor mounted fuel pump, so I wont need anything on the rail or in the cell. Plan is to point the sump rearwards, thought process is as a crawler/trail truck most of the time the nose will be higher than the tail end. I don't see many sumped style cells used in our applications, anyone have any input on this?

Next is connecting it up to the motor its self. I bought a roll of 3/8" diesel safe softline with the intention of replacing the factory rotted steel line before this truck got regulated to trail duty and it was just my dump beater. I had the intention of running the softline front to rear on the stock tank. Now that I'm running the cell I assume it would be smarter to run 3/8" hardline as far as possible and running the softline just for the motor and cell hook ups. Top fittings on the cell will be vent and return line from the motor.