• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

88' Jeep cherokee 4.0 Bogging issues on inlcine/decline

Supermini99

Hello everyone I just bought a 88 jeep Cherokee 4x4 w/4.O inline 6 automatic. My issue is that when driving on a leveled surface on/or off road 2wd or 4wd it runs and drives fine .BUT at soon as I go up a steep incline going slowly in 4wd It boggs like its gonna die (seems like I lose all the HP that I had). This issue has me stumped. I am new to owning a lifted 4x4 rig and am willing to learn. Any input would be great thanks in advance!

Vehicle info
-88" Jeep Cherokee 4x4
-157k miles
-4.0 Inline 6 (Stock)
-Lifted on 31s

Either losing fuel, or possibly a rattly cat. coming apart and pluuging the outlet of the cat when climbing hills...

Told your ass not to buy a cherocar, u border jumpers are so hard headed:fawkdancesmiley:

Ohhh and his other car is a Nissan 240:rb:

Last edited:
My 88 XJ did that. Right before the motor failed and blew a silver dollar sized hold in the side of the block. Same thing, would go fine down the highway and not have any power going uphill.

As a caveat, the ****er still ran and drove with the hole in the block.

On a side note, change out your fuel filter. It isn't expensive or hard to get to. About a 10 minute job with a screwdriver and a socket.

Could be a worn throttle position sensor too. A can of electronic cleaner spray will get the power back temporarily. Make sure no-one swapped one diff with a mismatched one for the other end too!

Could be a worn throttle position sensor too. A can of electronic cleaner spray will get the power back temporarily. Make sure no-one swapped one diff with a mismatched one for the other end too!

But just curious wouldn't that affect how it drives forward if that were the case? Im just wondering.

Latest posts