• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

89 xj questions??

bigduty350

I have an 89 jk 5spd locked front/rear..

4wd question: Its stuck in 4hi and I can't get it to 2hi. I have the lever all the way forward. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Fuel problem: when on incline I left off clutch and give it gas and it dies..

Engine temp: when on incline the engine temp gauge goes up to 210+, but on flat ground it shows around 150-180.

Someone please help.
-Sean

Damn cherocars :mad:

OK, so the 4wd shifter should have a z gate pattern to go out of 4 wheel drive. to jam it to the right? and then push forward. (If not then I would have to look at the linkage, and if that's good bad t-case?)

The dieing on the incline can be many things, i would do a tune up first to eliminate the small stuff.....fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc. Then I would check your fuel pressure flat and at an incline.....may be pump? Not sure.

Those early years of cherokees did not have the best sensors. Use a laser temp gauge to see what it actually is....flat and incline. After you eliminated the sensor is bad time to move one.....head gasket, stuck t-stat, etc etc.

Hope this helps :redneck:

So I know this is really old but I dont know if he ever fixed his problems.

The 231 and 242 t cases have a spring that actually slides the collar forward into the 2wd section of the gear set. So even though the shifter is all the way forward the spring doesn't have enough force to do the job.
2 things.
You could still have a load on your t case not allowing the gears to mesh. Drive on a gravel road, get up to 20mph+, pop the trans in neutral, then the case should shift back to 2wd if the front and rear drivelines arent fighting eachother.

Or your spring is broken and or weak. You will need to take off the back half of the t case and replace it. It should be sitting between the rear cover and the 2wd/4wd shift fork ON the rod the shift forks slide on.

The incline/fuel problem is most likely a bad fuel pump, maybe a clogged fuel filter.

The incline/temp problem sounds like a short to me. The temp sensor is on the top of the head, far back, drivers side. It should be a red? wire that literally slips on what looks like an 1/8" stud. If that wire is wore and grounding out anywhere on the body or engine it will cause high readings.