• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9 inch front axle???

Goatrider

The outdoors is my life!!!
Me and my father have been throwing around the idea of a 9 inch front for a small light buggy we are considering... We have a small budget, so is this feasible and if so what are some recommendations for parts and designs??? We have 2 housing already so we would like to run the 9 inch for the front and rear

Should be cheap enough, won't steer for crap...........oh, u meant a steering 9", probably depends on what you intend to wheel with it and if you can build it to use off the shelf shafts to keep from having to buy custom shafts for big $$. But I'd bet you'd be money and time ahead to just use a D44, and then there's the whole "why a D44 when the SD D60,s are so cheap?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatrider said:
Me and my father have been throwing around the idea of a 9 inch front for a small light buggy we are considering... We have a small budget, so is this feasible and if so what are some recommendations for parts and designs??? We have 2 housing already so we would like to run the 9 inch for the front and rear

What axles outers did you have in mind ?

Unless it's gonna be high pinion after market a ball joint 60 woukd be the way to go for the money.

BUG-E J said:
Unless it's gonna be high pinion after market a ball joint 60 woukd be the way to go for the money.

x2

unless you are literally just going for light weight in a really low power rig, a 9" isn't really "afforable". Stock 3rds aren't worth a ****.

Basically the only advantage is that SUPER low gear ratios are available.

Completely benchracing, but:

I think if I were ever to build a zuki (or zuki type thing), I'd run some 7.00 or 7.33 geared ford 9"s. Front steering made with 99-04 style ford 60 outers so I could convert the unit bearings to 5x5.5"

Well I considered a Dana 44 for the front, but not sure about the strength... We have had breaking issues with them in the past, but still are looking into it... Actually running Dana 44 front and rear from a scout in my buggy and the only thing keeping them alive is a limited slip in the front instead of a locker (on 16-9.5 Carlisle r1)

The buggy is gonna be essentially a rollcage without the frame under neither(like extremely simple and light), amc 360(mild build, with 2 barrel propane injection), and ax15 transmission. Honestly just trying to go light as possible.

The tires we are hoping to run would be r1 style like a 36-42 range not for sure on height yet

Outers we haven't decided yet

Biggest problem we are having is that we can not find any information on shafts

Re: Re: 9 inch front axle???

TBItoy said:
x2

unless you are literally just going for light weight in a really low power rig, a 9" isn't really "afforable". Stock 3rds aren't worth a ****.

Basically the only advantage is that SUPER low gear ratios are available.

Completely benchracing, but:

I think if I were ever to build a zuki (or zuki type thing), I'd run some 7.00 or 7.33 geared ford 9"s. Front steering made with 99-04 style ford 60 outers so I could convert the unit bearings to 5x5.5"
Another cheaper option would be to use those same outers with a lp60 center. Can find a rear axle to cut up cheap. Can get 6.17 or 7.17 gears. Build it to use off the shelf shafts.

Goatrider said:
Well I considered a Dana 44 for the front, but not sure about the strength... We have had breaking issues with them in the past, but still are looking into it... Actually running Dana 44 front and rear from a scout in my buggy and the only thing keeping them alive is a limited slip in the front instead of a locker (on 16-9.5 Carlisle r1)

The buggy is gonna be essentially a rollcage without the frame under neither(like extremely simple and light), amc 360(mild build, with 2 barrel propane injection), and ax15 transmission. Honestly just trying to go light as possible.

The tires we are hoping to run would be r1 style like a 36-42 range not for sure on height yet

Outers we haven't decided yet

Biggest problem we are having is that we can not find any information on shafts
If u run a 35 spline 9" spool or locker stock d60 shafts can work. D44 shafts would be custom without some custom carrier/locker.

As said i would run an aftermarket 3rd at a min.

Another option is Toyota fj60 or hybrid axle. 9.5" center section, with mini or fj80 outers.

paradisepwoffrd said:
If u run a 35 spline 9" spool or locker stock d60 shafts can work. D44 shafts would be custom without some custom carrier/locker.

As said i would run an aftermarket 3rd at a min.

Another option is Toyota fj60 or hybrid axle. 9.5" center section, with mini or fj80 outers.
Dana 60 shafts will work???

I used a spooled Yukon Nodular LP 3rd I paid $900 for. Chevy 60 Cs and outers because I already had them. But if starting new, I'd run superduty 60 outers and Cs. I used the longside inner shaft from a 78-79 Snowfighter axle, and 88-98 shortside Ford inner. Wasn't much different price wise compared to building a 60 from scratch, and way better gearing options. Stock housings are pretty thin and bend without a good truss, and I wouldn't even consider a stock 3rd member. Just my opinion...

muddinmetal said:
Scout 44s have outer axle shafts that are basically dana 30 sized :****:
I know lol... I beat the hell out of them this past weekend, and didn't brake them with 16-9.5 Carlisle r1... They survived the rail bed in Harlan, but I wanna go with a bigger tire on the buggy

would I bet better off to find a Dana 60 front and just use that instead of fighting with trying to build a 9 inch front?

Is the strength for weight worth it since I'd would use the Dana 60 shafts (idea given earlier in thread)

Typically budget and light weight are 2 things that don't go together too well, stamped housings are light, but spendy to build. SD 60's are cheap but heavy, hence the age old quandary of dollars vs weight. I'm fine with having heavier axle for less $, at least the weight is in the right place......

I'm actually in the process of building Ford 9"s with spidertrax knuckles and c's. Mine will be full width 60 (cut it that way on purpose) upgrading the thirds is something I'm also doing just haven't forked out the coin for it. I will tell you I'm about 3800 in front axle alone though and I still need gears and brakes. Also keeping them light as possible as the buggy only weighs 2735 before full and I want to weigh about same after I'm finished with these axles and have more strength.

44ec0fe5072c1d7e2ed4e9d8e7931482.jpg

stano said:
Typically budget and light weight are 2 things that don't go together too well, stamped housings are light, but spendy to build. SD 60's are cheap but heavy, hence the age old quandary of dollars vs weight. I'm fine with having heavier axle for less $, at least the weight is in the right place......

X2. If price is a concern id run sd 60 front. If u need pass drop, id retube it or use a rear lp60 with sd outers.

If u did the work yourself and started with a stamped housing, your still going to have more than what you would in a sd 60.
>$600 for a 3rd
>$400 for the sd60 donor for outers/shafts
+ cost of putting it together and trussing the crap out of it.

paradisepwoffrd said:
X2. If price is a concern id run sd 60 front. If u need pass drop, id retube it or use a rear lp60 with sd outers.

If u did the work yourself and started with a stamped housing, your still going to have more than what you would in a sd 60.
>$600 for a 3rd
>$400 for the sd60 donor for outers/shafts
+ cost of putting it together and trussing the crap out of it.

Curious as to which third you are talking about? I have been looking at many different t brands and what not but haven't decided on what I'm going to run