• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

92 4runner wont stay running when cold

gill41083

so im workin on my buddys 92 4runner 3.0 that takes a few times to get fired up when its cold and when it finally starts it runs rough for a few minutes then it smooths out and runs good.

cold start checks out good
just did a tune up
never did this till we swapped in a new motor

any sugestions?

Does the idle surge when cold? 3.0's are known for getting air trapped in the cooling system. The bubble will hang where the temp sender is and foul up your fuel settings. If this is the case, pull the small bypass elbow off the front of the head and turn it up. Pour coolant in slowly until it comes out of the tube coming from the head. Just a thought.......................

Hey Gill, long time!:redneck:
Is is a complete used motor you put it? Or just the long block, and you used all the original sensors/injectors,etc....

complete used motor from a rig that a freind wrecked, i dont know if it had this problem in the other rig. the new rig is actually a 89 or 90 and when we swaped the motor in from the 92 the wiring plugs didnt match so i swapped in all the wiring out of the 92 except the peice that goes from under the driver seat to the fuel pump, i dont think this would matter, all the wire colors matched and the plug fit

Dirty injectors, bad cold start injector posibly but I don't think that keeps firing after its been started, is you idiot light on? And it could be your maf

Oh andc make sure that mubo jumbo of vaccum hoses are connected properly and if I do recall there is some sort of idle tempreture control on the water by pass block in the back of the motor

next time it does this, stop and pull the plugs without forcing the motor to start. See if they are wet and see if it is fuel or water. Sounds like a blown head gasket.