• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

92 Super Duty with 7.3 IDI Need Info

dwa2469

22RTE Buggy,LC Axles,39 reds
My son is looking at buying this tow rig. it has 120,000 miles and in pretty good shape. Was wondering what you guys could tell me about that engine. from what I understand it is non turbo. Is this engine worth having if the price is right??? Once again its a 92 7.3 IDI

Personally I would go turbo. A little more money but I think money well spent in the long run.

Re:

I always heard they were slow but reliable and easy to work on and cheap. That's my style and that's why I run a big block. Newer diesel guys spend a lot more money to get to the same place just a little bit faster.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

They are stupid easy to work on. The only electronics on the engine is the glow-plug harness! For mileage that low it might be worth it to turbo it yourself. They are slow but will pull 1 rig fine anywhere you want to go and get about 12 mpg towing, 17 empty

I had a 92 extended cab truck with the 5 speed and it was reliable as hell but was gutless but it did have a ton of miles on it, i was told to turn fuel up on it and it would run better but i never messed with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed a buddy that has one to stoney lonesome once and wanted to shoot myself in the face after following him for 5 hours. Good reliable truck but he said he held it on the floor from the time we pulled out till we got there and we never cracked 65 mph.

Banks turbo if the coolant issue isn't there and get it right on the price. Won't win any races but will be reliable as you can get.

He has an upstart marine repair business. He is only wanting to pull boats less than 10 miles. He get some good sized cabin cruisers here and there. So, if there is no coolant issue this thing might be perfect. The price is really right. Thanks guys

dwa2469 said:
He has an upstart marine repair business. He is only wanting to pull boats less than 10 miles. He get some good sized cabin cruisers here and there. So, if there is no coolant issue this thing might be perfect. The price is really right. Thanks guys

Something else to look out for, is fuel leaks. The injector return lines are rubber and get brittle with age. It's an easy fix that seems to scare a lot of people away.

dwa2469 said:

Overhead kills new businesses. Might be the perfect truck to help get this business off the ground. Good luck and get it done.