• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

93 Grand Cherokee running problem

chickenwing

I'm posting to help my cousin with his stock 93 grand cherokee. Its a 4.0. With in the last 5000 miles its had a regular tune up, fuel pump, and computer. and the other day he was driving and then it just quiet running no spuder just died. Tried starting it again and it will start for maybe 3 secs after crankin for a bit. Then it will die and when it starts it will not rev above 1200rpm. Any ideas i know its not alot of info to go off but anything would help. Im thinking it is the crank postion sensor or whatever its called the one on the bell housing that is a pain to get to.

Put the key in the ignition, and turn it on-off-on-off-on and watch the check engine light. It should flash a series of times. Count the flashes. "Flash, Flash <pause> Flash" would be "21". If get five flashes, followed by five flashes, that is no codes, or self test done. My wife's 94 has a 12 and 21 codes at the moment. 12 is "battery has been disconnected with in the last 50 starting cycles." And 21 is a bad o2 sensor. http://www.misterfixit.com/moparcod.htm
:corn:

Plugged Catalytic converter? Does it act like it's starving for fuel, or like someone shuts the key off??? Start with what Rex stated---see if there's any codes...