• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

95 F350 auto transmission troubleshooting

k2blazen

*So the OD light flashes trans goes into <safe mode>
*Hard shifting not really slipping, engine acceleration tranny does not power up.so drained the fluid put new filter and fluid in er observed fluid was burnt but no metal shavings at all.
*Ive seen 95f350 had notorious problems with PCM going out in other diesal forums.
*I also noticed when the tranny started acting up my speedometer gauge went dead at the same time so i was wondering if that could cause the problems or a certain sensor i should replace?
*there is also a sensor on the bottom of trans pan and one of the wires is damaged looks like some tape with 4 wires going into it.
*also ABS sensor is broke would that interfear with trans performance?
* If you have any suggestions or been there done that would like to hear what u think, thanks mike:mad:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/picture_library/E40D.pdf

Last edited:
Had the same issue with my 97 PSD.

Noticed the speedo stopped working, abs light and OD light was on and it shifted like hell. Held the RPM's way over what it should have. After reaching 35 MPH the speedo would start working and everything would be fine. Did a **** TON of research and found out about the VSS/ABS sensor on top of the rear axle.

One bolt, one connection and 25 bucks later it was working fine again. Picked up the part from schucks..

Speed sensor on rear diff.....done a ton of 'em for the same issues....Check the rear diff too/ pull the cover and make sure the tone ring for the sensor hasn't come loose!!! (seen that a couple times, causing the sensor to get broken...)

No.....VSS as stated above.
it does pull double duty if it's 4whl abs....but in 95, RABS was only option IIRC, but it still uses the rear speed sensor for abs function (if the RABS valve is any good!!!:haha:)....I'll give him partial credit!:redneck:

zukkey what is RABS?

All I know is I had the same issue with my 97.. Was the ABS/Vehicle speed sensor. Same sensor mounted on top of the rear end. Easy cheap fix. Worth a shot to start there..

Rear ABS valve (RABS is commonly used term:;)....for rigs with rear abs only....mounted on driver's framerail up by firewall.....

ABS sensor it was

Would not think that would make my trans act up What a relief .:cheer:

"my dumbass learns something every day"

Thanks for ur input everybody Id do a backflip but probably land on my face.:beer:

Glad to hear it is fixed...:awesomework:
Did you sell the truck, or pull it off the market??? (still waiting to hear from a buddy I told him about this truck...)

Glad to hear it is fixed...:awesomework:
Did you sell the truck, or pull it off the market??? (still waiting to hear from a buddy I told him about this truck...)

pulled it off the market ,I was not about to put another $2000 to fix trans dumped way to much $ into this beast ,somebody woulda had a good rig for $2000 they shoulda jumped on it .Thanks for the info I know u kept sayin ABS,ABS :awesomework::cheer:

pulled it off the market ,I was not about to put another $2000 to fix trans dumped way to much $ into this beast ,somebody woulda had a good rig for $2000 they shoulda jumped on it .Thanks for the info I know u kept sayin ABS,ABS :awesomework::cheer:

Im sure glad you can still tow your wheeler instead of odie parting it out.

Thank god you can still wheel now, lord knows odie wont run a trail anymore.

Actually charliesnyder was the first to mention it, so he should get the cookie:redneck:...but thanks!!!:awesomework: I'll let me buddy know it's off the market...