• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

96 ranger build!!!

RangerBen

Alright so here's the deal, throughout the past few years iv gone threw multiple trucks looking for the one to build a mild trail truck with. Finally I think I found it. THE VICTIM- 2wd 96 ford ranger with the 2.3, fresh built motor I personally rebuilt. So far I'm into it for 800 bucks. THE IDEA- so I'm not looking to build a super crawler, rather a trail rig that's ok at everything but not fantastic at anything, as well as road capable. It's a goal to keep the truck as light as possible for ease of extractions and towing. THE PLAN- for the drivetrain Im starting with a manual 2wd 5 speed that came stock in the truck, to stay on the cheap side the plan is to buy a light aluminuum case divorced transfer case and go that route to make the truck 4x4. For the rear axle the plan is a full width ford 9 inch, a mini spool, 5.15 gears all hung with chevy 63" inboard leafs. For the front the plan is a 70s ford Dana 44 with 5.15 gears and extended radius arms. Then I'll run a 16 inch coil over up to shock hoops to keep the truck low. Going to be running 36inch swampers. My plan is to try and keep the caster within 1 to 5 degrees and when I'm ready to extend the radius arms I'll measure from the axle Cs to the transfer case yolk to try and keep my drive angles close. ( along with extending the radius arms I'll probably need 7degree bushings)As well as build a pan hard drop bracket. This is just to get the truck out on the trail. Later I'll do a front air locker. Is there ANY opinions out there? Any faults in my plan or things I'm missing, even a specific place I should start? Anything helps, iv posted on other sights but it seems nobody is interested in getting a fellow wheeler out on the trails. If I get enough people following I'll use this as a build feed. Thanks in advance.

Re:

You're doing it backwards. Build it, post it, wheel it, post it. Ask real questions if you have any.

RBVs on 5.38/5.43 geared D44/9" are really common. Should be plenty of info out there for you.

Sounds like the truck would be a good candidate for the BroLite series. Tom at AOP has been talking about having some of the races there. I know that's not what you were getting at but just a thought.

But like Nick said, throw a 44/9in under it and rock out for a trail rig.

I hear ya, its my first build so I'm just trying to make sure there aren't any drastic changes to my plans I should make.

Re: 96 ranger build!!!

My advice is find another platform. It's addictive. I started our similar to your plan but had a 2.9 v6. Here's where I'm at now. I have a ton of pics and have rebuilt the rig several times. Just post up. I'm watching to see what you come up with.

276af42ce262bcd556db44105d23cdcc.jpg

Re: Re: 96 ranger build!!!

ranger11 said:
My advice is find another platform. It's addictive. I started our similar to your plan but had a 2.9 v6. Here's where I'm at now. I have a ton of pics and have rebuilt the rig several times. Just post up. I'm watching to see what you come up with.

276af42ce262bcd556db44105d23cdcc.jpg
Yeah that too. I've helped build a couple RBVs and owned one myself on tons and 40s.

I'd keep the lil 2wd ranger for a trash hauler and parts store runner and start with something better suited to build.

Btw, what divorced aluminum t case were you looking at? Only thing i can think of is a Sammy case, or a converted yota case? (I guess you could convert about any case if you wanted)

Is your rig the truck from garagefab? Think my buddy just told me to look at your stuff, just tonight actually. Unfortunately I'm still in collage so money is limited, this is the truck I have so it's kinda my go to for now. Could you shoot me some specs on what you have going on, thanks for your help and interest!

And looking into a bw1356, I'm in Michigan, it's just about to be winter, want the truck on the trails by spring.

Re:

Ranger11 has built this truck from ground up, by himself. Specs I can give is: He did did 5.0 swap on 44/9, then added fuel injection on 40's, kept breaking the front end, fully boxed frame, went to D60/14 bolt. Then to 351, coilovers on front and 42 sticky Treps, it's bad ass, but needs a custom tube chassis to get everything to clear good. I know he will chime in, I love the rig though.

pennsylvaniaboy said:
Ranger11....got a build thread on that pimptastic rig?

I do on midgaoffroad. Don't think I have one here. Will do one here shortly, Mdo(Mark) is correct I gotta do a new frame/subframe. Still in the planning stage. While i want a buggy, I have owned the truck since 03 so there's a ton of money that got thrown at it over the years just to send to the scrap yard. My plan is to build it similar to the mj on here.

Also I didn't know there was a divorced 1356. I'm running a 203 with a 1356 it's a pretty tough case. Added the 203 in front of it 2 years ago. My doubler is forsale, the 203 is making a funny noise though.

A buddy of mine that says he has one recommended the 1356 because of how light it is. He told me it was a divorced case, I suppose I better go look at it. Do you guys think it's a dumb idea to run the 2wd tranny with a divorced case? I just considered it because it will be cheaper, they didn't make many 4x4.trannys for the 2.3, so iv rear. One day when I do a 5.0 swap I can do it differently. Do you guys prefer married or divorced in your rigs?

Another thing iv really been doubting, are my axles going to hold up to 38s when I upgrade? As well as imbording the rear springs to under the frame, good idea or bad? I figured with the rear of the truck being so light I probably should.

Re: Re:

ranger11 said:
I'd pick up a set of super dutys and rock out.
X2

If you are going to regear, spend it on axles that will hold up long term.

Run a set of stock super duty 17" wheels if you want to stay kinda narrow.

I'd love to run 3/4 tons however up where I'm at, they seem to be gold. Not so much worried about the width just the weight. After some deeper reasearch though I have found that with an m5r1 2wd I can easily convert it to a 4x4 by using any m5 4x4 output shaft, then just use any m5 tail housing and transfer case. Instead of complicating things with a divorced.

RangerBen said:
I'd love to run 3/4 tons however up where I'm at, they seem to be gold.

Really? It's pretty easy come across cheap 99-04 super duty axles around me ($400-700 for a pair) Sure most are Dana 50 fronts, but high pinion, beefy wall thickness, big ujoints and a 9" ring gear. There is plenty to like about them for the buck. Plus you can build your own linked set up as opposed to having to run the radius arms from a 78-79 f150 44. But yea, if there are none around you... :dunno:

Re: 96 ranger build!!!

Dunno if ur on greatlakes4x4 but there's usually some deals on there on super duty axles, and build it right the first time, be way more cheaper in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: 96 ranger build!!!

Zjman said:
Dunno if ur on greatlakes4x4 but there's usually some deals on there on super duty axles, and build it right the first time, be way more cheaper in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true.

I'll check out greatlakes, ya 400 bucks for superduty axles! That's what half tons cost. The rear sterlings are cheap, its the fronts nobody wants to sell.