• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 jeep 5.2l intake manifold gasket replace

WinchBunny

Hey everyone! Long time no talk to, anyways, I'm curious if any of you guys on here have done this job. Replacing the intake manifold gaskets on the 5.2l. My mom took it to the mechanic an they told her it would be 400 plus parts...I told her I could probly do it as long as nothing major needs to come off...they told her that the AC lines need to come off. That doesn't seem right to me but i could be wrong. An I haven't gotten to see it for myself yet so that's why I'm asking. Also any tips you guys wanna throw in from experience would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Ha, we just talking about you the other day. The AC does not need to be removed. The rubber portion of the hoses is enough that once the compressor is unbolted, it can be set aside without detaching the lines. Once the air intake hat is off take pictures of the throttle body and it's connections. Mainly its about hooking all the little stuff back up correctly upon re-assembly. This is where pictures come in handy.

The job itself is easy. Really, its not much harder than an old carbed V8. Use a high quality gasket set so you don't end up doing it again later. While you have the intake off is the premium time to change the oil pressure sending unit. A quality one from Mopar is like $25. Replacing it is a serious PITA on a fully assembled engine.
:beer:

You were talking about me? Really? Oh I feel special lol! Anyways thank out for your input. I figured it would be easy, just time consuming maybe. Pictures are a good idea I didn't think of that...an I will let my mom know that she should replace that sensor too. Ttyl8r thanks!

I found it easy to remove the whole bracket holding the alternator, tensioner etc....the new gaskets for the plentum is far superior than the crap that blows on them from the factory pre 98...
you may need a fuel injection fitting tool to get the fuel line off the rail...all the wires have one place to live so don't worry about hooking them up wrong, the injector wires are easy to put back where they belong also

the torque specs are in inch pounds fyi

get a new thermostat and thermostat bypass hose with it, replace the sender as well it will be easier, get intake manifold bolts as well they tend to break especially the 2 front ones.

when unbolting the manifold use hand tools to loosen the bolts or you will break some, i have done this many times.

also get a new gasket, plate and bolts for the bottom of the manifold, sometimes these will warp and that is what leaks oil into the intake.

james

also get a new gasket, plate and bolts for the bottom of the manifold, sometimes these will warp and that is what leaks oil into the intake.
The belly pan is steel and the manifold is aluminum, they expand at different rates and pretty much every magnum V8 will have this gasket blown.

Hughes sells an aluminum plate to replace it.

And yeah replace that bypass hose while you're there.

Latest posts