• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A new place to crawl in Oregon!

binderbound

With hard work from too many 4x4 clubs to remember and the USFS, we now have a great new place to come break your junk! We have 2 track hoes and a front end loader digging, piling, and generally constructing, what we hope, will be the 4x4 mecca of Oregon. This should link to some good directions http://www.deschutescounty4wheelers.com/Groundhog.htm

In 45 min we had a Toy with a busted 27 spline longfield, a cut 37" MTR, and Brent from trail tough's orange 'dually' sami busted up! That was only the first day. Pics dont show the real terrain, but you can bet its tough. These pics are from 3 days of 'construction'.
troughday28wg.jpg

preclimb9bo.jpg

after the operators went home we went out to play. This flatty on narrowed axles give a good view of some of the width of the lines.
flattycanopener8du.jpg

Me on the same line, with wide track Waggy axles an 37's.
dancanopener7rt.jpg

Water trucks with fire hoses will be in the next day or two 'washing' the rcks off. So you can count on good solid rock, not the loose stuff in the pics. There are big 'catch basins' at the bottom of the quarry to catch all the sediment and run off.

Besides the crawl area, there will be miles of trails constructed around the East Fort Rock area. A little something for everyone. There is tons of parking area (5x as much as Reiter). It is technically a play area so camping is not allowed, but just outside the area there are several staging areas.

Like I said, thos pics are from 3 days of work. they still have 4 more. Its gonna be awsome!

Sweet! :cool: Keep us posted over the next 4 days to the progress!

That is south on bend? I think I was down that way for an endurance bike race a couple years ago; it was like 2 40-mile loops, that is some dry country in the summer if I remember correctly?

Yes, Its about 40 min from down town Bend. In central oregon. I made it from Woodburn, Or (where i live) to the staging area in 3 1/2 hrs towing my junk.
Yeah its dry and the fire restrictions get pretty tight, but it should be open year round.

Very cool.....would love to bring my oversized piece of unibody crap down there to play for a weekend :cool:

Dan, what days are they going to be open and what hours can u run, ie night runs allowed?? looks great and will have to check it out in a lil bit.

no excuses said:
Dan, what days are they going to be open and what hours can u run, ie night runs allowed?? looks great and will have to check it out in a lil bit.

Its an established 'play area', so its anything goes. As far as I know. they are worried its gonna turn into a shooting range, but thats the only real consern. There are some serious drops and cliffs, so running at night adds a bit of pucker. I'm thinking of setting up a run for August. That way the rocks have a chance to settle.

The neat thing is, there are no set trails through there. You can climb anything, cross anything, and generally get messed up in there without geting in trouble. There is an easy loop that circles the whole pit. Easy to be winched out, easy for spectators, 31" friendly.

Last edited:
looking forward to checking it out..I hope it is as fun as the prineville canyons..

gotrocks said:
is that pretty much the onloy rock pit there? and how hard are the trails suppose to be?

only pit... its over 15 acres! Like I said, the pics only show a small portion of whats been turned over. Its only been 3 days too. The trails will vary but im guessing they will be geared more toward the 33 to 35" and 1 locker crowd.

well thats cool and all but I hope that a few trails can become harder than most. I understand that everyone isn't running 40's and dual lockers but i'd love to get a few hard more hard trails around the northwest

binderbound said:
The neat thing is, there are no set trails through there. You can climb anything, cross anything, and generally get messed up in there without geting in trouble. There is an easy loop that circles the whole pit. Easy to be winched out, easy for spectators, 31" friendly.

Sounds like a good candidate for a comp.!:cool:

Latest posts