• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ac to oba conversion ?'s

dventoza

Well I want to convert my ac to my on board air as I never use my ac and I need oba. So how did you all do this conversion without the use of a york compressor? What all do I need to do it and have it work well? Pictures are encouraged and welcome!!

well basically you need
an air tank
a relay(your stock ac relay)?
a pressure switch in the tank
some fittings
some air line
some wires/inline fuse to relay
you can prob wire your pressure switch into your ac switch
probably need a inline oiling system for your ac pump
i personally have never convered an ac pump to oba but i no people do
i opted for the tried and true york:awesomework: works great i can run air tools all day:redneck:

I tryed with the AC pump on my 4.3 , lasted about 15 seconds before the pump seized up.

Used an A/C compressor from a suburban. You will need a switch, relay switch (mine is on at 90psi off at 125psi), gauge, relief valve (150psi), intake filter and an oil seperator. Since you aren't running freon anymore you have to add an inline oiler (unless you use a york). I used a condemmed fire extinguser for a tank. Hope this helps.:awesomework:

Last edited:
That is just what I am looking for!! do you have any pictures of you oil return system? And where did u get your oiler and seperator? And how have they worked for you?

FWIW, that's not an ordinary ABC extinguisher, that's a CO2 extinguisher, they will hold a lot more pressure. Don't use one of the ordinary dry chem extinguishers, it could go boom before the relief popped off.

BeatCJ is right. It is a steel tank not an aluminum tank.
I got the oiler from grainger, the pressure switch from a truck site online, the filter from AutoZone and the rest from Lowes. I don't have an oil return system. The oiler holds enough oil for about 8-9 hours of continues operation. Since I don't have ARB's it will only be used for airing back up, so there's plenty for a days wheelin. The brackets and manifold I made.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the pictures! Are you running a filter/seperator after the pump and before the manifold?

I used the factory Nippondenso compressor from my ZJ 4.0 donor motor for OBA the build is the same as any other only I put a few drops of compressor oil in the intake line on a regular basis to ensure the compressor stays lubed.

Link to follow.

OK so the other board I'm on is having server issues. I have a thread over at CJoffroad.com that shows my OBA system. I'll give you a link as soon as it comes back up.

Last edited:
I used the factory Nippondenso compressor from my ZJ 4.0 donor motor for OBA the build is the same as any other only I put a few drops of compressor oil in the intake line on a regular basis to ensure the compressor stays lubed.

Link to follow.

OK so the other board I'm on is having server issues. I have a thread over at CJoffroad.com that shows my OBA system. I'll give you a link as soon as it comes back up.

ok cool!! thanks!

CJoffroad never came up so here are some pics from that thread. This shows the heart of the system and I'm using an airbrake storage tank mounted behind my rear seat.

OBA_plumbing_1.jpg

OBA_plumbing_2.jpg

OBA_plumbing_3.jpg