• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Acetylene vs Propane

ForMud

I just got my 75cf tank or acetylene refilled, it cost me $47.00 I can't remember what I paid last time, but it seems like it was a lot less. I don't use my torch set up much anymore for cutting, mostly heating things up to bend things. ( And even then, only a couple of times a year )
So I got to thinking, how much of a difference does running propane instead of acetylene make? I know it's cheaper and from what I've read it doesn't burn as hot.
What about the regulator, tips, and the rest of the torch...Is it going all going to be replaced?
Anyway anyone on here run this set up?

I use propane in my torch set up same everything except tip, it's different , but most places, that sells welding supplies has them,they are not much.
Only difference the heat is a little less takes a little bit longer but works never less, I bend and cut stuff all the time, with no worries.
last quite awhile , and it's cheaper.. Just sayin

I've never had acetylene... Used it in ther people's torches....

I've used propane and O2 for 20 years for cutting, heating, brazing.... Works perfect....

As said above all you need is a tip plus of course the fitting for the tank.

We use propane at work. We do railcar repair. U can cut or heat anythng with it. I use it at home to. It takes me about a year to use a 20 lb grill tank. I cant keep up with the ixygen tanks. It takes me about a tear to use a 10 lb tank at work. I use it everday. Sometimes for a couple hours at a time. I just use a size bigger tip then most people so i aint gotta wait for it to heat up. I thank i use a number 4 and a 10 for scarfing **** apart.

I use straight propane and a big burner for almost all preheating at work and oxy-propylene for heavy cutting, especially if it has to be a really nice finished cut. The propylene does a much better job on the cutting than acetylene, especially when it's 2-6 inch thick track burn cuts and long runs. I've never used oxy-propane cutting but with the right tip selection, you should have adequate heat for lots of jobs.

It will use a BBQ tank. A number four tip will do anything most folks will do at home and a smaller tip will make a more precise cut. We run 100lb propane tanks with liquid oxygen, a 100lb tank will last around 40 hours pulling one torch.

I use a 30 lb Rv tank... Any BBQ style tank will work....
I generally get a year or more out of a tank unless I get into a big project or two and then I might use a tank in a couple months.