• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Adding a 3rd axle to a trailer..

truckbroke

Trying to see if anybody has done this and is it as cut an dry as I`m thinking it will be. I`ve got a 36' wedge car hauler and have been thinking about adding a 3rd axle. My thinking is go to a trailer store like big tex and buy the brackets, axle etc and just measure the existing two axles mounting points and copy that for the 3rd axle. Is it that cut and dry or is there anything else I should think about. The trailer frame is the same all the way to the front and, I can`t see any reason why it couldn`t have just been ordered with 3 from the factory. It currently has 2 7k axles. The trailer weighs 5k and with two 5k rigs its basically over loaded. This last trip I went on I broke all the studs on one side of the front axle while I was running about 70 mph and it got sketchy fast. My thinking is add another axle for weight reasons and, if I have something like this happen again I can ratchet strap one up so at least I have two more axles to make up for the one that fails and I`m not stranded on the side of the road. Does having 3 axles make turning more difficult or is it no biggie?

3 axles eat tires.... if it has leaf springs you will have to go to two equalizers.... to keep the same weight distribution you will have to remount the other two axles so the center axle is in the spot that used to be between the current axle.... half again as many tires to get destroyed by a road hazard.... easier to grossly overload one axle or tire pulling over a bad curb...

For my money I'd rather install two 10k axles with 14 ply tires

I assume the frame is too wideb to go tandem duals

Yes its to wide to pull duals on it. I figured I`d just drop the third axle in front of the two that's already there. The back axle can`t go any further back due to the slope of the ramps. I figured if it would have came with 3 axles the two on it now would be exactly where they are currently located and the third would just be directly in front of them being its a slanted wedge trailer.I see them on the highway several different ways. I really just don`t understand why someone would have a trailer this big and long and only have two 7k axles. especially when the trailer weighs 5k by itself. I have always heard 3 axles eat tires as well.

Most of the 3 axle wedge trailers you see are 48-51' and weigh 8-10k lbs empty....that's why they have 3 axles and your 36' only has 2.

I know Roger king (extremetownie on here) had a ~30+ gooseneck car hauler that he added a 3rd axle to, it was hell on tires before pulling 2 full body rockwell rigs around. It was a torsion axle setup, so he just slid another axle under it and welded it in place.

That was probably 7-8 years ago so i think i'm remembering right

TBItoy said:
I know Roger king (extremetownie on here) had a ~30+ gooseneck car hauler that he added a 3rd axle to, it was hell on tires before pulling 2 full body rockwell rigs around. It was a torsion axle setup, so he just slid another axle under it and welded it in place.

That was probably 7-8 years ago so i think i'm remembering right
Pretty sure that's the same trailer we borrowed a few years ago to go to KOH, if so he removed the 3rd. axle.

Well Hell.... Y'all got me second guessing it now. I just figured I was right on the verge of having problems with only 2 7k axles. Like said the trailer is 5k almost exactly and I put 2 5 k rigs and sometimes a crew cab ranger on it. Just scared I'm gonna kill an axle and have some real problems at the worst possible time.

mdo817 said:
Pretty sure that's the same trailer we borrowed a few years ago to go to KOH, if so he removed the 3rd. axle.

Yep probably, scrub is pretty bad getting around (plus after the town wagon and Elmo, I doubt weight is an issue with the single seater :****: )

Just keep tabs on your hub temps... if you can hold your hand on em without injury ur ok....

Your broken lugs were not from overloading.... torque your lugnuts only by hand..... regularly

I've seen trailers loaded to over double their capacity make 1000 mile trips.....

Also keep in mind.... only the weight actually ON the axles matters to them.... tongue weight is on the truck

Torsion axles or leaf spring?
I was going to add a third axle to a leaf sprung trailer. I broke a leaf pack in half. After inspecting the suspension found it was wore out, it basically all needed to be replaced. After doing a little research I went with two 8k pound torsion axles that I put a "spread" between them. 17.5 rims.

My situation was different than yours. I was looking at a complete rebuild from scratch.
When your pulling the trailer do you spend a lot of time in the city making 90 degree turns constantly? Do you deliver to tight areas?
If your like 99% of people that hook up and hit the interstate and only stop to fuel and eat scrubbing tires isnt that big of a deal.
Plus it sure is nice to "keep on keepin on" if you have a flat. You just take that rim off and roll on. (Maybe strap it up if your running leafs with equalizers)

Just my opinion.

Yeah it's leaf springs.. I'm only using it for recreational use. Going to and from parks. What are talking about with equalizers?

Gotcha.. I've never had a problem in the past with lugs on a regular old bumper pull trailer coming loose but this trailer has taught me different. I guess because of all the weight loaded. When I broke the studs I was thinking it'd be nice to have a third axle right now but yeah buying tire's would suck.

I`ll do that next time I load it. You maybe right about that. Might not be as much on the axles as I think. I would almost have to think that's the case. If there wasn`t something to that it would be pointless to have that big ole trailer with only two axles. the truck is probably carrying more of the weight than I think.

I did add a third axle ,to my trailer. It was mainly for better braking because it was always overloaded and it did not mind the weight,you just could not stop. Tire wear was even worse with the third axle,that why i took it back out. A portion of your towed weight is on the truck,depending on how it is loaded.If you not eating bearing, i would stick with 2 axles. I have finally found a good set of tires and that make more difference than your could imagine. I now run Brigestone Duravis R250. I would try a change in tires before i did anything else.

I`m running firestone Trans force tires and I love them. They wear great. I may have been jumping to conclusions on adding the third axle. Glad I posted this up to get some insight. I`m not having bearing problems or anything. I`m going to weigh the trailer loaded and hooked to the truck and see if I`m really even over loading the trailer. The third axle would nice for blow outs and stuff but its sounding the disadvantages are out weighing the advantages. I pulled a measurement last night and I actually could run two 10k axles but, I imagine the 10k axles are pretty pricey and your also buying 8 tires.

truckbroke said:
I`m running firestone Trans force tires and I love them. They wear great. I may have been jumping to conclusions on adding the third axle. Glad I posted this up to get some insight. I`m not having bearing problems or anything. I`m going to weigh the trailer loaded and hooked to the truck and see if I`m really even over loading the trailer. The third axle would nice for blow outs and stuff but its sounding the disadvantages are out weighing the advantages. I pulled a measurement last night and I actually could run two 10k axles but, I imagine the 10k axles are pretty pricey and your also buying 8 tires.
If you aren't frying hubs or bending axles, and can stop, stick with what you have, if the tires/rims aren't cutting it, put 17.5's on.