• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Advice needed on the Appropriate shackle angle

pholmann

Building the wife a truck. Chevy leaf springs in the front of a 78f100. 2wd to 4wd conversion. It's been a while since I messed with anything leaf spring as far as custom goes. Right now at ride height it's 40-45 degrees back. Any suggestions. Does it look right?

How much arch do the leafs have? Best way is to remove all of the leafs except the main leaf, tack on your shackle mount, and figure out where the leaf is flat and your shackle is close to bottoming out on the frame. Your angle is only dependent on how much arch/travel your spring has. Hope that makes some sense...

If the springs settle a little, the worst that can happen is it flops up on the frame. I've done that one before with new 63" chevys. Cut off and move back a little

Looks good leave them.
That's exactly where I had my YJ set at. If I jump the front end of really twisted it the shackle would invert. But the leafs had an arch to them so they would push the shackle all the way to the frame on compression. If that made sense to you. So I put a little bump stop where the shackle could not invert.
Looking back I needs longer shackles. Live and learn.

They are used 4" chevy leafs and yes it makes perfect sense. Keep in mind this is a road truck. Building it for snow and nasty weather and such.

AllGoNoShow said:
How much arch do the leafs have? Best way is to remove all of the leafs except the main leaf, tack on your shackle mount, and figure out where the leaf is flat and your shackle is close to bottoming out on the frame. Your angle is only dependent on how much arch/travel your spring has. Hope that makes some sense...

I was a few months ago but found one. Thanks though.

Beerj said:
Speaking of that truck, weren't you looking for a divorced ford 205?

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll leave em there. No pun intended.

better question is how does your pinion angle look with the shackle hanger on the bottom of the frame? The angle of the shackle is about perfect IMO. Can you raise the mount to go in the frame?

Pinion angle looks fine. Its the front so itll have to do whatever the alignment machine suggests when I go to set the caster angle.

Re: Re: Advice needed on the Appropriate shackle angle

bjeep said:
From the fancy tow truck and rzr I seen last weekend. :woot:

I would have to agree with Tony. :****:
We need to make this post a "sticky". Y'all shoulda known I keeps it real from jump street. 8) :p

Having said that.....pholman is part of the Illuminati. Jus sayin...