• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air bump stops question

loganwayne

Trying to get the front end of my buggy done and I'm down to getting air bumps. How do you decide what length bumps to get I've seen 4",3",2" bumps and not sure how to pick which I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much uptravel do you have? If you have 6" of uptravel you will not want a 4" bump because limits your uptravel before getting into the bump zone. I would say 2" or 4" limited to 2" unless you have a ton of uptravel.

Agreed on the 1/3 of uptravel unless you have bypasses, then it's another story.

For what we do I always go with 2" as it's rare that a buggy has more than 6" uptravel.

But as mentioned before, you can get a longer stroke bumpstop and shorten it, while a short one cannot be lengthened.

Thanks everyone for the responses. i was planning on having the front axle set this weekend to figure out how much travel i have. but i burnt up my welder. so bumps will have to wait for a while.

we started with 4" (not knowing any better) on my truggy. ended up with 2" on the buggy and its much better. not sure of up travel, but it does see some air from time to time while racing and at the dunes. this is with with Fox co's (fox bumps as well)

even just trail riding got smoother (less hitting the bump stops and smoother dropping off larger ledges)

loganwayne said:
Thanks everyone for the responses. i was planning on having the front axle set this weekend to figure out how much travel i have. but i burnt up my welder. so bumps will have to wait for a while.

In that case, still order the cans and get them mounted while you are working on the front. Just out a piece of tube and a poly bump in the can. When time and money allow, pull the poly bump out and slide the Air bump in.

We recommend 1/3 of up travel.

And get the correct length ones.

bjeep said:
Why? Like said you can shorten them so.

There are two different body lengths.
2.0 and 2.5 share a body, 3.0 and 4.0 share a body.
Not that big of a deal, but it's nice to have the right stuff.

Also, they can be shortened with 1.5 x 0.120 wall tubing, but make sure the ends are square and deburred. They should really be cut on a lathe. You run the risk of messing them up if the tubing isn't cut square.

TRD said:
There are two different body lengths.
2.0 and 2.5 share a body, 3.0 and 4.0 share a body.
Not that big of a deal, but it's nice to have the right stuff.

Also, they can be shortened with 1.5 x 0.120 wall tubing, but make sure the ends are square and deburred. They should really be cut on a lathe. You run the risk of messing them up if the tubing isn't cut square.

Ryan knows his stuff. he helped me with mine and it was greatly appreciated. made a really nice difference for higher speed stuff and faster trail riding. :smoke: