• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air Compressors

Bobbo3234

What should someone look for when purchasing an aircompressor? Any favorite brands, tank sizes, hp? Obviously the bigger the better, but what would be a good value buy?

To answer that question you need to tell us what tools you plan to use. Painting, sandblasting, grinder/sanders, etc. use a lot of air. If you just want to run an impact wrench and nail guns, you can get away with a lot less.

Here's what NOT to look at: Horsepower rating.

What matters is CFM and amperage (well, and voltage, 220 if you can suppy it).

Also don't get an oilless, and always choose cast iron over aluminum pump.

Like welders, get the biggest most powerful compressor you can afford. A good standard size for a garage is 60 gallon - they usually draw under 20 amps and blow at least 10 CFM.

I have a 5 hp oiless coleman I got at costco. 115v. It works great for the thype of use you listed. Using a pig DA or air sander, even a HVLP gun for more than spot repair draggs it down though... but I rent, so no 220 for me. :(

Bobbo3234 said:
mainly impacts and just general air tools to work on the rig.
That's what I said too. Them I started using my die grinders more and more, and next thing you know, I need 15 CFM :D

I bought a 21 gallon from crusty last year, Love it. Works for everything I need. But I dont know the spec's on it. :cool:

CrustyJeep said:
That's what I said too. Them I started using my die grinders more and more, and next thing you know, I need 15 CFM :D

Hahahaha i was smart enough to research before buying but i cant find the info page i used to decide what i wanted hmmmm get back to ya'll on that once i find it again