• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

All warn 9.5XP factory error

TigTorch

A lot, if not all Warn 9.5XP winches are wired incorrectly from the factory. This is a significant problem but fortunately is easy to fix.

This winch has a huge motor with high current draw. Warn engineers decided to break tradition and instead of using all four standard relays (#28396), they used two standard relays and two extra high current
relays (#68379). The idea being that the motor draws so much current during pull-in that the standard relay may not hold up. During spool out, there is no load on the motor, and the "standard" lighter relay is used.

Problem is somewhere between the design department and the assembly line something got "crossed". You may find on your XP that the green wire used for "in" command from the controller is connected to the light relays. The black "spool-out" command wire connects to the high-current relays. As wired from the factory, the heavy relays are not used for pull-in.

The suprising thing is that the wiring schematic is also in error and clearly shows the green wire routing to the smaller relays (the schematic can be viewed at warns website). The fix involves swapping the green/black wires at the relys and the large wires at the "F1"/"F2" field terminals on the motor.

See Pic:
IMG_0405-1.jpg

The winch will function perfectly normally, the only trouble being you may have a winch failure due to burnt relays sooner than the engineers intended. I confirmed the problem by reviewing parts manuals and physical parts at my local 4x4 shop, and by calling Warn directly.

I discovered this problem while tracing the wiring and making sketches so that I could mount my relay pack remotely under the hood out of the weather.