• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Allison 35%

money_pit_yj

:fish:I marked it 35% cause only about 35% of you really care about my question :rolf:

I am looking at buying some trucks to make 24' Flatbed delivery trucks that will carry a Moffett lift. It is tough finding used chassis with the wheelbase I need and I am not looking to stretch them, but I have run across a ton of trucks with Allison transmissions. I really prefer a 9 or 10 speed truck but EVERY single person I have talked to have said "Man that Allison is Bulletproof". These are going to be tandem axle 52K GVW trucks, will have around 300K miles when I get them and will literally travel less than 100K miles over the next 10 years but will be loaded heavy and driven in pretty rough environment. So you guys that have big trucks, any experience with the Allison? Is it truly bulletproof? What does it cost iffin it isn't bulletproof and I have to replace it? Running a MaxxForce International motor would make this an easy search but I do not want to get anywhere near that POS so my options are already cut almost in half but the Allison would open up a bunch of options.

Nothing is "bullet proof" or "unbreakable" ...................period.

My experience is 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. Sounds like you are looking at more medium duty applications.

money_pit_yj said:
:rolf: So I am going to get reported to the moderator for not posting tata pics? :dunno: :rolf: :stir:

Better post some flashemifyougotem quickly before I start getting them email alerts

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
Better post some flashemifyougotem quickly before I start getting them email alerts

ADMINISTRATOR

You asked....
5bbbb3ea6a76ca17b35c2cf857508d30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have any experience with 52K trucks but we have a 26K International 4300 at work that has an Allison. About the only thing we've never had a problem with is the transmission. It shifts as smooth and firm as it did when we bought it used 8 years ago. Not saying it wont ever have a problem but it's definitely impressed me. As far as repair costs, no clue.

About the only downside I'm aware of with the Allison, is that a 10 speed will get you better drivers... that extra pedal weeds out about 40% of the worst ones...

gottagofast said:
About the only downside I'm aware of with the Allison, is that a 10 speed will get you better drivers... that extra pedal weeds out about 40% of the worst ones...

Most of our drivers are local guys. We don't get many of the 3 week online class truck drivers. Not saying they are good drivers, but they are at least familiar with a truck. When I drive, I dont use that pedal anyway :dunno:

money_pit_yj said:
Most of our drivers are local guys. We don't get many of the 3 week online class truck drivers. Not saying they are good drivers, but they are at least familiar with a truck. When I drive, I dont use that pedal anyway :dunno:

Exactly. I have seen way more people that can not drive well. Driving a manual. :eek:

The company I work for has over 80 snow plow trucks. All of our trucks have Allison transmissions. Most of the trucks have a 3000 series trans. In the 17 years I have worked on these trucks we have only had one fail and need rebuilt. They are good transmissions nothing but abuse here at my shop.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk