• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Almost Ultimate Tow Rig - Beta Version

B Gillespie

The current Telcom Tech primary tow rig had an unfortunate encounter with a very large 8 pt. buck last Friday night. After talking it over with the guys, AND considering that we just put a $2500 tranny and $2500 premo injector pump/high flow injectors in it, I think we are going to keep it for a while. Scheduled for a thrash fest at the ranch in Fort Worth after Christmas to upgrade some stuff on the SuperDuty bucket and getting this truck back on the road. The ultimate tow rig will come later after I get a little more use out of this one and get a little more $$$.

Subject: 1997 Dodge 3500 ext cab. 4x4 auto 12V Sport

Damage: hood, grille, bumper, fenders, lights, intercooler, radiator, condensor

Parts to be installed: Leveling kit, Bilstein shocks, 17" Forged Weld wheels plus factory Dodge 17" inner wheels in the back

Needs: new tires for sure plus all parts listed under damage
Upgraded intercooler; who makes them?
Anyone make an alum radiator with elec fans for these? I will need something fairly quick, if its a Ron Davis, I better call that sucker in tomorrow to get it when we need it after Christmas. ::) We obviously have a little fab ability, but I dont want to reinvent the wheel getting a radiator in there.
Hood; anyone have a favorite aftermarket on these trucks?
Rear bumper to match front

Want: Nice front bumper; who makes them? Dont want to drop stupid money on one, but I want something nice and strong, possibly able to hold a winch.
32-33" x17" tires. BFG AT or Toyo AT? I love me some BFG's, but I need the highest load rating possible, good wear, and decent off road traction. I have the Welds already, but thought about 19.5's too. Nothing bigger than 33's though.
'Glass fenders? Both are toast, would glass on a dually look ghey as Bones in a room full of cougs? Gotta buy a new set of fenders either way...

What are the good Cummins forums these days?

Ill update as I get more information and pics, then start a build thread when parts start arriving and the build begins.

I can call about you a Be Cool unit tomorrow if you want me to. They are the best radiator on the market hands down. Call me if you want me to in the AM.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

You have to sign up to really look at either of them.

$2500 for injectors and a pump on a 12v? Holy ****.

rock mafia said:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

You have to sign up to really look at either of them.

Thanks. That included a new air intake/filter, 4k rpm gsk, fuel plate, new fuel pump, kdp fix, and install. Dropped it off stock and slow, picked it up and it hauls...

Woodlee said:
I can call about you a Be Cool unit tomorrow if you want me to. They are the best radiator on the market hands down. Call me if you want me to in the AM.

Will do.

B Gillespie said:
Thanks. That included a new air intake/filter, 4k rpm gsk, fuel plate, new fuel pump, kdp fix, and install. Dropped it off stock and slow, picked it up and it hauls...

10-4 that's not bad then.

Good links Jim, I gots me sum readin to do.

Edit: I hate insurance companies. Period. "Ummm sir, your truck shows to be worth 3500-4000." Come awwwwwnnnnn... ::)

Anyone have a favorite front bumper?
Where is a good place to get a nice looking, not obnoxious cowl hood?
Any nice looking aftermarket grilles?

Trying to get my list together while I am listening to the MU-KU game. Talked to an adjuster again this morning that made me feel a little better about the situation and getting the truck fixed or buying it back if they total it. I also built a database last night to calculate all of my different options on different trucks, cost to operate, salvage value at auction if/when I sell them, etc. Still dont know what I am going to do yet. ???

rock mafia said:

I was really wrong on that price too, btw. I looked up the reciept the other day, it was well under a grand. ::) I was thinking about another truck. :dunno:

For the money you can't beat a reflexion steel cowl hood. Think they offer lots of styles for the dodge also. I have put many hoods on in our bodyshop and these fit really good. I know Keystone sells them.

B Gillespie said:
Fiberworx front fenders and a set of 22.5's are on their way!

Ah I hope they really are on the way. Friend of mine drove from KC, he dropped his 07 chevy off there for some glass, flew home... I think 4 or 5 months went by and no progress.. he goes back to get the truck and they had fawked the front fenders up trying to make a mold. They had lied to him during the process "oh yea man we almost got it, finishing up the mold it'll be another week" type ****.

The shop I purchased them through said they have had good luck with them, believe I was skeptical. Not of Fiberworx, per se, but of shipping fiberglass parts. I have a horror story of ordering two TJ hoods from Campbell Ent.; wasnt Shannon's fault but it has been a huge PITA and over a year...

B Gillespie said:
The shop I purchased them through said they have had good luck with them, believe I was skeptical. Not of Fiberworx, per se, but of shipping fiberglass parts. I have a horror story of ordering two TJ hoods from Campbell Ent.; wasnt Shannon's fault but it has been a huge PITA and over a year...

Yep wasn't trying to be a **** they might be good, only thing I had heard was from my friend! His deal was a freak thing anyways since they wanted to use his 07 to make their molds----in turn for a discount on the fiberglass parts since he was also ordering multiple sets as well... That truck is now totalled via some shady **** so it doesnt matter now ::)

Update:

T%201.JPG

T%202.JPG

T10.JPG

T3.JPG

T4.JPG

T5.JPG

New skates:
22.5s%20005.jpg

22.5s%20004.jpg

Christmas bonuses:
22.5s%20001.jpg

Buy some calenders from Nolen.

****, now I want to deliver your ford parts to feel up those adapters. how much for the wheels and adapters? what brand of wheel and do they come in a higher polish? load range on that wheel? (it'll be cast into the wheel). I want to do 19.5 10 lug wheels as the 8 lug 19.5's just don't look as good to me now that I've seen the 10 lugs on a new dodge drool

Kelly, as for the adapters, they are really simple. With the machine tooling you have, you could knock a set out easily.

The adapters and wheels are currently riding in the bed of one of my work trucks with my mom driving it down to TX. I can get specs or mic out anything you need when I am down there in a week. Dad is an enginerd, one of us can get the info you need.

Latest posts