• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aluminum cutting?

skinny_pedal

I need to have a custom plate made to fit into this distributor. The material Im using is 2024 T3 aluminum 32 thousandths thick. Would a water jet be the way to have this cut or something else? Anyone know a shop that could do this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah, well Im not cheap. And need this to be a machined perfect part. Will need those notches in it, the hole in it, and fit around the cam, and raised portion.

I'll bite.

Why does it need to be perfect? In order to make it perfect you will need very exacting measurements of that piece since its not machined in there.

Maybee a better suggestion could be made if we knew what you were trying to accomplish.

just did the very thing you are doing in a 70 mustang, made two plates to adapt a photo cell in place of the ol school points. used a bandsaw drill and some hand files in about an hour.

I need to have a custom plate made to fit into this distributor. The material Im using is 2024 T3 aluminum 32 thousandths thick. Would a water jet be the way to have this cut or something else? Anyone know a shop that could do this?
Thanks

If you want it waterjeted, you will need to supply the guy with actual numbers to cut to. Or give him your part and pay him to come up with the numbers as waterjets are Computer Numerical Controlled.(CNC)

I can machine it, but I'm in San Diego(no rain here:D)

If it were me, I'd just lay it out and bandsaw it. A semi-good machinist will be able to saw it within .010" of your layout.

Not for aviation:rolleyes:

That's what you get for working on a plane. :flipoff:

just at a glance that looks like a GM points cam so with a bit of thought a I6 pertronix setup would slap right in there. All it takes for setup is .030 gap between the magnet and eye. Might look and see if your distributor # is listed here

I would think the petronics (sp) would be the best fit for what you want. I have installed a few and have had good results. If they don't have yours exact it is easy to make another model work.

Question though is this a single RPM application as it looks like you have removed the advance?