• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aluminum gas tank.......how to polish

Dillehay

I need some help on this damn aluminum gas tank. Don't want to paint, afraid the "RACE GAS" will take it off. ;D. Next step will be to powder coat (could get expensive).
What I want to do is polish it.

Here is what I've done so far
1. sanded with 120 grit
2. water sanded with 600grit
3. water sanded with 800grit
arms and fingers are numb at this point
Used some Aluminum polish that had some fine grit in it, used a drill with a buff pad...........got a little shine but still not what I see others having.

What are we doing wrong? speed/type of buffer? not the right grit sandpaper? different rubbing compound?

Help please!

Takes a LONG TIME and lots of work. :****:

Use some 1500 then some 2500 sandpaper. Then compound. Then polish.

This is what you need to use....
272f276c4f95590d6c3cb85105511268.jpg

The drill will not do what you're looking for. You can give me a call and I can walk you through it if you'd like. I polish tanks and wheels on tractor trailers at my truck wash.

Man if you started out with 120 grit on alum. You gots LOTS of work to do! Should have started with the 600 and then went up.

zukimaster said:
Man if you started out with 120 grit on alum. You gots LOTS of work to do! Should have started with the 600 and then went up.

Yea, really famous buddy aka TC :tc did that to us. May give up on this one.

fltruckwash said:
This is what you need to use....
272f276c4f95590d6c3cb85105511268.jpg

The drill will not do what you're looking for. You can give me a call and I can walk you through it if you'd like. I polish tanks and wheels on tractor trailers at my truck wash.

Hey Todd, thanks for the reply and offer. I'll be back in town Thursday. What's a good time to call?

A orbital or Palm sander with a few grits stepping up and finishing at like 600 is fine then get a buffing wheel like posted above ( white clothe ) and some polishing compound and rock out , its Dirty but will shine out like chrome, I've polished numerous projects , beadlocks , propane tanks , bike frames , valve covers etc.