• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ammo Can Rocket Stove...

dirtygoat

So, I've been thinking about building a wood stove out of an ammo can... While researching some different types I started reading up on Rocket stoves... I figured I could turn the ammo can into a Rocket Stove...

The idea is to create a highly efficient wood burning stove that can generate a lot of heat with minimal fuel, while burning up almost all of the emissions except for co2 and steam...

Basically you build a burn box that you feed the wood into and air gets drafted in from under the wood... It drafts up hits the underside of the stove top and creates a torus sending the hot air around the chamber heating up the stove even more... Then makes it's way out the exhaust... By keeping the hot air in the chamber for longer it makes the stove more efficient... It also makes the wood burn way cleaner...

Here's a simple drawing that gives you an idea of how it works...

1228102210.jpg

Here's the ammo can that I'm gonna use... I plan on building it upside down so the handle on top is still usable...

1228102210a.jpg

I have yet to see a stove built like this out of an ammo can, so this is not tested... There are simple wood burners and bbq grills out there, but nothing as far as a rocket type stove... Should be fun...

Wait, don't you have a larger project to finish?

I'm researching heating options...:fawkdancesmiley:

You know what I keep in ammo cans? AMMO!

That's ok Luey, we'll team up when it goes to ****. I'll fend off the commies and you can cook supper.:fawkdancesmiley:

I'll be way up in da woods, not worrying 'bout them damn commies...:redneck:

yep, then run your exhaust thru some block etc that has some thermal mass , try to suck every last bit of heat out of it you can... exhaust temps shuld be around 100deg or less if ya do it right.

yep, then run your exhaust thru some block etc that has some thermal mass , try to suck every last bit of heat out of it you can... exhaust temps shuld be around 100deg or less if ya do it right.

I've seen some where they run the exhaust through a bench and use it as the thermal mass... That would work great in a shop for heat... Or run it through the floor...

If they are built right, you can keep a shop nice and toasty with very little wood for fuel... Branches and sticks...

Here's a drawing I found that shows the basic concept for using it to heat a thermal mass like a bench, but the mass could be anything that retains heat for an extended period...

You could build a long box that the exhaust runs through and fill it with perlite and have radiant heating along a shop wall...

rocket_stove_butt_warmer_3.gif

You need a good draft...

The idea of the chamber is, to re-burn the smoke and heat the fire box...

The hotter the fire the cleaner it burns...

Re-burning stops the problems with soot...

That allows you to have an exhaust running sideways and using up all the heat before it exits...

So how do you plan on getting the draft/flow to start. I know a cold chimney going straight up takes a little to get the cold air dam out.