• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

AN vs. JIC Fitting

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
Hey guys, I have -12's all over my cooling system. Had a bad fitting at my Water Pump that is leaking eveywhere because the fitting is busted and the threads are ruined. It says -12 JIC on it. I have found a -12 JIC 90 degree push lock to replace it, but is there any issues with running a female JIC to a male AN? I found this on wikipedia and it looks like they are interchangable.

AN fittings are a flare fitting, using 37° flared tubing to form a metal-metal seal. They are similar to other 37° flared fittings, such as JIC fittings, which is their industrial variant. The two are interchangeable in theory, though this is typically not recommended due to the exacting specifications and demands of the aerospace industry. The differences between them relate to thread class (how tight a fit the threads are) and the metals used.

Motion had it and that is closer, I am in the downton office today. The piece that came off was a 90 degree female JIC, plug on the pump is -12 male AN. Just wanted to make sure it was ok to interchange them

Got ya, problem is nobody around here has a 90 -12 JIC, just straights. I had to go by a -12 AN 90 that is all anodized and costs way too much money. One thing I was told that I never thought of is the the steel JIC fitting will just on the inside in a cooling or fuel system. I really don't care and my other fitting is not being replaced but it is good info.

Thats why i said rubber specialties, they are almost exclusive with that JIC stuff. All my fitting in the steering are re usable JIC's and thats were I got them ( also were Keith gets all / most his fittings and so forth )

Either way your covered now.

P said:
Thats why i said rubber specialties, they are almost exclusive with that JIC stuff. All my fitting in the steering are re usable JIC's and thats were I got them ( also were Keith gets all / most his fittings and so forth )

Either way your covered now.

I checked there dude, that is what I posted. They don't have 90's, nobody has 90 degree JIC in a -12. These bitches are big! Thanks for the text response homo :flipoff1:

My bad, reading comprehension kicked my ass... I skimmed it since I saw that you got what you could use from Motion cock. :flipoff1:

laughing1

P said:
My bad, reading comprehension kicked my ass... I skimmed it since I saw that you got what you could use from Motion cock. :flipoff1:

laughing1

Not returning a text is a **** move :flipoff1:

I did return it... i said we didnt have - 12's and put motion, rubber specialties , and Gdale perf on it !! :dunno:

P said:
I did return it... i said we didnt have - 12's and put motion, rubber specialties , and Gdale perf on it !! :dunno:

No the one that said, hey I am downtown today wanna do lunch? Make me a bike clown!

yea... about that, i was actually in the middle of doing lunch ! Popeye's has that new Bowl thing and dammit son its tastey ! laughing1

P said:
yea... about that, i was actually in the middle of doing lunch ! Popeye's has that new Bowl thing and dammit son its tastey ! laughing1

Yeah so thanks for the Reply :flipoff1:

Seriousl P. You will actually turn into a ninja if u eat at Popeys more than 2 times a week! Tru fax. Be careful son!

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]
blacksheep10 said:
AN was for all types of fancy pants ****, JIC was JI case, the tractor maker. thier own 37* flare fitting. it works. tighten it down.

Actually, JIC stands for Joint Industry Council. Instead of explaining this myself, I copied and pasted this for a brief explanation.

It's taken 50 years of concentrated effort to standardise the hundred or so individual (and
incompatible!) plumbing systems that once existed. The military dubbed the new
standard as "Army-Navy" (AN) and forms the basis of the current worldwide standard. A
group of engineering concerns further developed this at a "Joint Industry Council" (JIC)
to reduce the variations still further.

Yeah, I know, I'm a nerd. ;D

1TONTJ said:
Actually, JIC stands for Joint Industry Council. Instead of explaining this myself, I copied and pasted this for a brief explanation.

It's taken 50 years of concentrated effort to standardise the hundred or so individual (and
standard as "Army-Navy" (AN) and forms the basis of the current worldwide standard. A
group of engineering concerns further developed this at a "Joint Industry Council" (JIC)

Learned two things today, AN and JIC.

retention

retention

what?

1TONTJ said:

Awesome. I was going off what my old ass hose making farmer dad said laughing1 Now I have something to tell him back
thanks thumb.gif

Latest posts