• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Angle of the engine...

Here is the engine bay, gotta wire it up and let it purrrrr! :stirpot: Boonie built the hoops for me and welded them on, I think it was thunder and lightening out while he was doing it!

utf-8BMS5qcGc.jpg

Lookin' good! :awesomework:
Damn, I forgot about rick's build!!! That thing is sic!!!!:drooling1:

If I lift up the trans and case up to make it a flat belly, do I need to pay attention to the angle of tilt on the motor(front to back)?

The angle of the driveline at the t-case rear output is the main concern.

Shorter wheelbase rigs need to raise the motor mounts to correct the angle.

The downside of that is the vehicles COG goes up.

What thickness of plate are you guys running for a flat belly? 1/8th or 1/4 inch?

Trick question- It all depends on how far of a span, what kind of structure is supporting it.

I used 3/16" steel plate and it's holding up good after a year of abuse but there is crossmember structure supporting it and bearing the weight of the drivetrain.

I gotta check my angles but I got a longbed 1st gen so I have more room then a normal 1st gen, but then I got duals and a W56 so now im about normal, I dont have that much lift so that will help.

The structure the skid plate will be bolted to will be some sort of square tube bolted to the frame so it'll be fairly strong structure. Maybe I could get away with 3/16 but Ill check what the price difference for a 4'x8' piece between the two and go from there.

I gotta check my angles but I got a longbed 1st gen so I have more room then a normal 1st gen, but then I got duals and a W56 so now im about normal, I dont have that much lift so that will help.

The structure the skid plate will be bolted to will be some sort of square tube bolted to the frame so it'll be fairly strong structure. Maybe I could get away with 3/16 but Ill check what the price difference for a 4'x8' piece between the two and go from there.

I ran a W56 and duals on a short bed 1st gen with about 2" of lift and didn't have any driveline issues.

My crossmember is all 1x.120" square tube and I've never had any problems with it breaking even when landing on it rather hard.

This is how it was before I added a few tubes to it after dropping an atlas in there. You can see where the stock toyota mount was bolted in, it worked out well and still bolts in just like it did when I first built it. Not tweaked at all. :D

crossmember1.jpg

This is an oooooold pic. The crossmember was just like this for years. I just didn't trust it to hold such a heavy combo without adding to it when I switched to an auto and larger heavier duals.

90-2.jpg

Latest posts