• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another buggy build

I am still working on this a little a time. Need to take and post some pics I guess. Cannot call this a build thread by any stretch of the imagination. I have completed most of the fabrication, it is plumbed with the exception of the cooling system. I have started working on wiring it. After that I need to break it down , finish weld , paint and put it back together. Of course there a few other things mixed in there like building my business, building the house and shop, etc etc.

So this might be the worst build thread ever. More than 7 years long and almost no information in it. I have continued to work on this thing and am finally in the final stages. It is running and driving. Just need to finish painting panels, install wheel rings and a bunch of little details stuff. Then I can go beat the crap out of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WmPX6m9vmvK23gdB7

Well it took all of my sons life to do but i finally finished my buggy. Took it wheelin today for the first time. I need to finesse the tranny cooling but otherwise it did well.

IMG_20200529_151248197_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200529_151253282_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200529_151259528_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200529_151305025_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200529_151311958_HDR.jpg

Rig looks great! How did it perform on it's maiden voyage?

It did well overall as far as handling went. It turns like a battleship but I expected that as i designed it for rear steer but dont have it yet. I need to work on tuning the ORI's. I designed the buggy for a three inch lower stance. however I have the older ORI's that need to run at the 50/50 droop to compression. All of that was expected and known prior to the ride. Two unknown issues that showed up. The tranny was running hot, around 200 or so. I checked fluids etc and could not get it to cool down. When I went thru the tranny cooling system the next day the fan would not work. it worked at the park when I checked on it. Maybe it was intermittent? At any rate I am fixing fan and adding another plate cooler. Probably add a deeper pan also for more fluid. The other issue is it is choking out when i come off the throttle at low RPM's. Not sure if this is a tune issue or a tranny issue. I have to dig deeper into this. I believe the tune is looking for MAF/IAT and I dont have them on the buggy so it may be the culprit.

For the most part I have been very happy with it. I have dealt with some minor issues like alot of new builds. Right out of the gate I had to get rid of my CV joint in the rear axle as I kept blowing the center pin. So I went to a 1410 yoke on my transfercase. That seems to have fixed that issue. I lost the carrier bearings after about a year of use. I replaced them and they failed in less than an hour of use. I have flexed it out and dont see anything that has changed or damaged that would cause the issue but something is not working as it should. I went ahead and threw money at it and bought the 1410 carrier bearing from Busted Knuckle. I will get it installed hopefully this week and see what comes of it.

Other than that I had to learn to rebuild and tune my ORI's. I also put a 92mm throttle body on it and had to learn how to use HP Tuners.

I also switched to stickies.

Overall, I am glad I built it.

For the most part I have been very happy with it. I have dealt with some minor issues like alot of new builds. Right out of the gate I had to get rid of my CV joint in the rear axle as I kept blowing the center pin. So I went to a 1410 yoke on my transfercase. That seems to have fixed that issue. I lost the carrier bearings after about a year of use. I replaced them and they failed in less than an hour of use. I have flexed it out and dont see anything that has changed or damaged that would cause the issue but something is not working as it should. I went ahead and threw money at it and bought the 1410 carrier bearing from Busted Knuckle. I will get it installed hopefully this week and see what comes of it.

Other than that I had to learn to rebuild and tune my ORI's. I also put a 92mm throttle body on it and had to learn how to use HP Tuners.

I also switched to stickies.

Overall, I am glad I built it.
:dblthumb:

I will be at Chocco March 17th to 20th. Buggy has been good overall. I had to deal with some driveshaft issues where I was getting some binding at full droop in the yokes. 205 had to be rebuilt but that should have been done prior to completing the buggy but I was in a hurry to complete it at the time. Still playing with the engine tuning a little bit. Otherwise it is good to go.

I will be at Chocco March 17th to 20th. Buggy has been good overall. I had to deal with some driveshaft issues where I was getting some binding at full droop in the yokes. 205 had to be rebuilt but that should have been done prior to completing the buggy but I was in a hurry to complete it at the time. Still playing with the engine tuning a little bit. Otherwise it is good to go.
That's great on updates and future ride too.