• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another TIRE question for snow wheeling

86tuning

So, my 84 toyota pickup is in need of new shoes, especially for the upcoming WINTER. Ya, I know, I'm thinking 6 months ahead, but hey, why not?

specs: regular cab, stock driveline, stock suspension, budbuilt transmission xmember, lock-rite front locker, open rear.

plans: 35x12.50x15" tires at stock ride height. Plenty of cutting and tubbing of the firewall is in my sights. 4.7 crawl gears and 5.29 will be going in at the same time. Hafta decide what to do with the rear diff. open, e-lock, spool/weld, etc.

What works well for general wheeling, AND works well in the snow? I know my car snow tires (michelin X-ice or hakkapalittas) work really good on snowy roads, but what about 4wheeling?

Tires considered:
Procomp Xterrain
MT MTZ plus
BFG MT KM2 when they finally come out in that size
BFG AT

Now the other thing that I've considered is running a good AT tire for winter, in a slightly smaller size (33" or 34"), and putting on some chains.

Comments?

edit: I'm after radial tires as this thing will see alot of street duty.

Last edited:
take a good look at the Interco Trux line. the guys in north Idaho swear by them on snow and ice.

You can always get a nice set of BFG MT KM's sipped and they'd do just fine. As for the rear i wouldnt idealy recomend a Spool/welded rear. An E-locker/ARB/lockrite would do just fine with your 35's. Full time locked up rears tend to step out too much. At least with a lockrite you can feather the rear in and out of lock. :redneck:

Personally I hate snow. Too damn cold. Yet i only live 25 mins from snoqualmie pass. HAHA

Oh BTW sipping is not so good with mud. The dirt gets wedged in between the cuts and rips the living **** out of it. Good luck on the decision. :awesomework:

The best tire I have so far ran in the snow, that has also done well in other areas, is the MTR. Buy the biggest size feasable, and air it down to around 4-8 psi, depending on conditions. As far as the rear, my Aussie Locker (almost the same as a Lockrite) does cause a little slip. I would go with either a selectable locker, or a limited slip if winter is your main concern. If you are more concerned about the summer months, go with a full time locker.

Fresh Irok's are the **** in the snow.

But they only make them 36" and up?!? As for power, this truck won't be getting any. Unless a 1uz mysteriously flops its way into the engine bay in a few years.

For the rear diff, I may put in an LSD from a mk3 supra that I have laying around. I just have to find out if it fits a 4cyl or v6 carrier. Still I'm undecided for the rear. So far this year, I'm doing just fine with the lockrite up front and the open(!) rear diff.

Tires first.

Thanks for the responses so far. Any tires to stay away from on snow and ice?

Last edited:
MTR's!!!! i have 37's they kick ass in the snow!!!!:awesomework:

Only if there are no Iroks around...:stirpot: :haha: I think he's looking for something a bit smaller...? 35" and down... right? MTR's would be a good choice, you are gonna pay more for them though. What about the pro comp MT's? I wanted to try those but found Iroks before that time... maybe some 34x10.5 LTBs....

What about the pro comp MT's? I wanted to try those but found Iroks before that time... maybe some 34x10.5 LTBs....

Methinks the LTBs will be too stiff for my needs. I'm leaning more towards ProComp right now, their tires are very affordable. $100 rebate at 4wheelparts.com too.

including taxes and rebate:
$845 for a set of four 35x12.50x15 XTerrain
$630 for four MudTerrains. $830 for Xtreme Mud Terrains.

This vs $900 for four swampers in 35"

I'm trying to stay away from IROCs due to size. Fitting them without a lift doesn't quite look possible, and my garage is only so tall. Also, I gotta use the bed all the time, and every inch that it stays lower = easier to use.

Thanks again for the comments :redneck:

edit: misinterpreted pricing discounts :(

Last edited:
Methinks the LTBs will be too stiff for my needs. I'm leaning more towards ProComp right now, their tires are very affordable. $100 rebate at 4wheelparts.com too.

including taxes and rebate:
$745 for a set of four 35x12.50x15 XTerrain
$530 for four MudTerrains. $730 for Xtreme Mud Terrains.

This vs $900 for four swampers in 35"

I'm trying to stay away from IROCs due to size. Fitting them without a lift doesn't quite look possible, and my garage is only so tall. Also, I gotta use the bed all the time, and every inch that it stays lower = easier to use.

Thanks again for the comments :redneck:

LTB and stiff are two phrases that don't belong together... My LTB's kicked ass in the snow and i never rolled a bead....