• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any ideas on how to stay warm in a tent at night?

Re: Any ideas on how to stay warm in a tent at night?

I sweat in my tent at night when it's cold. I put two Mr Buddy heaters in it and I have some old school Coleman sleeping bags. I usually end up not in my sleeping back. It stays warm.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

A good 4 season tent helps bc it wont let air draft through the tent like a 2 or 3 season tent will. I have an expedition style tent made by Wenger and it holds in heat like a boss. When it gets really cold I have a small space heater I use. I'll run my generator outside on eco mode all night long and whenever I get cold I'll just reach over and flip the heater on for a few minutes. I honestly cant leave the heater on for more than 5 minutes without it getting 90+ degrees inside.

Do NOT pile on the clothes and do NOT use an air mattress. The cold air from the mattress will just seep up from below. Change into some fresh socks and underwear, climb into the bag and zipper up. Helps also to lay out your bag on a layer of clothing or a blanket to insulate from the ground. Your body heat is supposed to get trapped in the bag and keep you warm. Helps to wear a toboggan also since a lot of heat escapes through your head. Trust me, I've done plenty of cold weather camping with the scouts.

If you don't have a bag made for really cold weather, get a flannel sheet to line it with or go to K-mart and pick up one of their fleece sleeping bags to put inside your main bag.

Re: Any ideas on how to stay warm in a tent at night?

Jcampbell54 said:
I sweat in my tent at night when it's cold. I put two Mr Buddy heaters in it and I have some old school Coleman sleeping bags. I usually end up not in my sleeping back. It stays warm.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

This is a fire and carbon monoxide hazard and I would HIGHLY suggest you don't run a heater inside the tent. :eek:

X2 on the hammock camping. Another plus for them when your wheeling is they pack up really small so you can easily carry in your rig. Spent the night on tip of the mountain at Harlan one time and was wishing I had it to sleep instead of the hard ground.

My tent setup: tarp under the tent, queen size air mattress, 1-1/2" memory foam mattress topper (insulates and adds comfort), fleece sheets, light comforter and thick blanket, another tarp or sleeping bag over the top of the tent and an Eazy up canopy set right at tent top, small blower heater (blows heat but doesn't get heater body or grill hot) and a small generator. I've had it rain all night and never get wet and have camped with snow on the ground. Works well and used that setup many times.

Mountaineering trick, eat high calorie meal before going to bed. It keeps the human furnace burning. If you wake up in the middle of the night cold, have a candy bar read to eat...no lie.
Invest in a good bag. If it seems overkill, wait till you sleep warm in temps you shouldn't then realize the worth.
Insulate yourself from the ground, dont let the earth suck the body heat out of you.
Wear a hat, the mummy bag will keep you warm, but you can loos a lot of heat off the top of your head.
Leave the cotton at home, wear wool.
Bring a dog...women complain too much :****:

How cold we talking?

I once saw an interview of an old man in International Falls, MN. It gets pretty cold there. Anyways, the reporter says "how have you dealt with the bad weather all these years". The old man goes "there ain't no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear". :smoke:

I've slept a few nights on the lake with just the canvas of the fishouse, a cot, and a Mr. Buddy. Been in that to about -20 degrees and then whatever the wind chill was. Key is to drill a few holes and then pack the water/ice around the base of the house. Really keep the heat in/wind out.

I have always been a big fan of the military style polypro long underwear. I don't know what the full name of it is, we always called it polypro. It is super warm and not too expensive. Surplus stores will probably have it or if you want new stuff it's available on the interwebs. I use it out here in the desert with a 0 degree rated sleeping bag and never gets cold in temps down to approx. 30 degrees. A regular air mattress will get super cold; you need a sheet or blanket between your sleeping bag and the mattress. And a fleece hat!

sledneck said:
DirtMonkey, you do any sledding out your way? Hope to be hitting Montana/Idaho area in Feb.

I've been along on a couple trips in the past. A lot of guys around here get into it big time...with the price of machines and upgrades it can turn into another money sucking addiction like wheelin with a short season of use, so I've stayed away from it ;D Are you meeting up with a group? Its beautiful country and terrain, it should be a good time!

Latest posts