• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any issues with a 2004 4runner?

J

Joc

My boss's daughter is turning 16 and hes looking at a 2004 4Runner. Pretty clean and well cared for but it has 188k miles. He asked me what I thought but I couldnt help him much more than the normal wear and tear issues it may have and that with that many miles id guess the transmission would be the first thing to go but just my 02cents on it. Thought I'd see if anyone here had any first hand experience owning one and if it was a good vehicle or any problems they may have.

Joc said:
My boss's daughter is turning 16 and hes looking at a 2004 4Runner. Pretty clean and well cared for but it has 188k miles. He asked me what I thought but I couldnt help him much more than the normal wear and tear issues it may have and that with that many miles id guess the transmission would be the first thing to go but just my 02cents on it. Thought I'd see if anyone here had any first hand experience owning one and if it was a good vehicle or any problems they may have.

Joc, I would never in a million years pegged you as a suck ass. On here asking questions for the boss and all.

kmcminn said:
Joc, I would never in a million years pegged you as a suck ass. On here asking questions for the boss and all.

Not a suck ass :Joc:
We're friends and he came to me seeking my help. He is by no means a car guy/mechanic so Im just trying to look out for him.

But I value your opinion and hope you the best on your trolling adventures :flipoff1:

Bought my wife one about a year ago Can't say we have any complaints. Ours has the 4.7 in it,runs good kinda peppy with not so bad mileage. Just check them underneath for rust and the cv boots tend to tear pretty easy from what I've found.

I don't really see any problems out of them other than front wheel bearings at that mileage. Those are a pita (because there isn't a good way to hold them to press apart) unless you buy one already pressed together with a new hub and bolts, one of the yota forums has somebody selling them. Should be due it's second timing belt, water pump job at that mileage. On the V8s, I do see the fan pulley bearings go out at about 210, I recommend doing them with the timing belt since you are over 3/4 of the way to having the timing belt off when it does go out. Saves a good bit in labor.

My buddy drives an 06 with the v6 about 60 miles a day for work and it has over 170 on it. Never had any problems out of it.

I have some input:

My employee has one with 250k...seems to run fine (normal stuff tires/brakes/etc)

My good friend has one...over 350k! He lives in south FL, drive to Columbus,GA almost weekly for meetings...and he could afford a fleet of anything...no issues..