• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Anyone rode the TAT?

74_Chevota

Big ole' can uh peas!
So a buddy of mine and I are really wanting to run part or all of the Trans-America Trail next year. For those that dont know what it is http://www.transamtrail.com/ . I am pretty stoked to get back into riding, as it was a huge passion of mine for years. I have always had a bike from roughly the age of 5 on. I still have 2 lowly XR200's as i was getting hurt too much on my CRF450.

Currently i am looking into dual sports. The obvious choice is a 4stroke. I dont believe i want to step into a 650 as it will be a big bike, and heavy to lug around. Looking heavily at a 450KTM but again, i am new to the dual sport crowd. Had a few guys suggest a 300 2 stroke, but that sounds like a pain, and not great for long distance riding.

Any info or opinions from any guys who have done some long rides in the past? Im sure bones has some info to share!

Re:

Klr650 for longer distances
Drz400 for more "off road"
These are the only two I would ever be able to afford. Getting real serious about buying a drz400. I'm looking to ride more forest service rds and trails, but still ride it on the road too. Probably ride it to work a lot.

never ridden it and dont have time to look at all the details right now, but if I was going to I would probably do it on a KTM450 or 525....my .02...

Can't go wrong with a Kawasaki KLR 650 or DRZ650 with good seat! I have owned a DRZ400 and while it was a great bike it would suck for long distance be aside seat sucked. Owned a XR600 with a good seat and was nice for long comfortable rides :dblthumb:

Check out ADVRider.com They will tell you everything you will ever need to know. I would go with the DR650, they are real hard to kill.

I've heard that the further west you head the trails are getting sketchy as of recent. Private property, land closures and such.

It's a loooong ride, I'd rather have a bigger bike that was comfortable than a smaller more offroad capable bike. I've ridden all over the southeast and some gnarly single track and offroad on my xr650l. Uncork, pipe, filter, and some love to the front forks and they cant be beat for offroad capability, reliability, comfort, and cost. I just sold my last one for 2500 and it was setup perfect.