• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone straight axled a 01 dodge dakota quad cab?

slednecks1124

looking to straight axle my 2001 dodge dakota quad cab anyone ever done it or have any pictures? i need to lift it and i want to straight axle it so its like no other dakota in the area. just wondering if u guys hd any ideas

This isn't a project for you unless you have some fab skills, IMO. You're going to need a welder, and various other fabrication tools, and you'll need to know how to use them. This is the kind of stuff that can kill you or others if you don't do it right (think nose-dive or steering breaking at 60mph).

What side is the front differential on... and what is the lug pattern on the axles? That would be where I would start to find a front axle that's a good match for your transfer case and rear axle.

Next step is to find an axle that matches up good, get steel and start mocking up your leaf spring mounts and figure out where to put things to match up with the amount of lift you want in the back and where you want the axle positioned in the front wheelwells. Cut off all the stock front suspension and mounts, put your leafs and spring hangers on and hang your axle.

After that you'll have to figure out what to do for steering, brakes, etc.

http://www.stuckatwork.com/gallery/
PICT0001.jpg

There's a Retarded huge one here in Olympia. It's burnt Orange in color and has about 20 inches of lift and 39.5 Iroks. I saw it a couple weeks ago Downtown. He had no front driveline, rusty axle housing, and no carrier or cover on the front 44,but was still driving it. He leaf sprung it. It was a Fourdoor model and had to be almost brand new. It looks like it will be a show truck. You won't be the first but It should be cool when your done. Just don't forget to wheel it!

Last edited:
Bring it on over to the shop, I'l fix ya up. Cant be any harder than a tacoma:clappy:

I've got a 01 dakota sport quad cab also that i have been wanting to lift. Getting married & two kids kind of put a hold on things for a while.

I think they look pretty sweet lifted & the nice thing is that you won't see that many people rolling around in a lifted dakota like you do with silverados,titans,rams, ect.

If you lift yours make sure you post pictures I would like to see it up in the air. :awesomework:

looking to straight axle my 2001 dodge dakota quad cab anyone ever done it or have any pictures? i need to lift it and i want to straight axle it so its like no other dakota in the area. just wondering if u guys hd any ideas

getting the axle mounted is not the challenge on this truck.

Is your truck an auto? How are you going to match up that durango only lug pattern with a front axle? Do you want to swap both axles or just the front and have mismatched patterns?

Its an auto and has a speed sensor in the REAR end. You can swap on a slip yoke eliminater from a jeep to your transfer case. (241d/231d VS 241c/231c) The VSS (speed sensor) on a jeep is close enough to the dodge one to modify. You can go to tacoma speedometer and they can make the jeep VSS work with your durango tranny/speedo.

now you into you tranny/speedo about the same money as a toyota SAS is.

Still sound appealing? Now you have a drivers drop front, slim options for a budget build or shaft angle. A ford HIpinion is really the only option to get a front shaft to work. A fordD44 or D60 is expensive either way.

Now you know why you dont see them around. Also explains why the one in oly isnt done or have a front shaft.:beer:

There is a really nice green one running around the kent/renton area.

If it is going to be a pavement pounder i would much rather spend the money to lift something that is not seen much, instead of lifting something that commonly lifted such as a toyota. :rb:

Its like if you drive down meridean your guarenteed to see like 5+ lifted silverados rollin on 37/20's before you got to the end of meridean.:looser:

Don't get me wrong silverados and all the other full size trucks are hella nice but I just like to have something alittle different that is not seen so commonly.

There is a really nice green one running around the kent/renton area.

If it is going to be a pavement pounder i would much rather spend the money to lift something that is not seen much, instead of lifting something that commonly lifted such as a toyota. :rb:

Its like if you drive down meridean your guarenteed to see like 5+ lifted silverados rollin on 37/20's before you got to the end of meridean.:looser:

Don't get me wrong silverados and all the other full size trucks are hella nice but I just like to have something alittle different that is not seen so commonly.

I am pretty sure you will find more people on this forum board that would largely agree that the Dodge Dakota is in fact more :gay: than you will find those that would agree on the Toyota as being remotely as :rb: as the inferior midsize Dakota. :awesomework:

PS: this section of the Forum board is for those who are actually building there vehicles. The 4x4talk section would be a more appropriate place for this type of babble.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is in the "parts-gathering" stage of a SAS on his Dakota.

After he finally listened to me about the stupid 6x4.5" BP, he's ditching his rear axle too and going with Waggy 44s front and rear. The front will be a home-brew radius-arm w/ panhard setup.

Interesting info about the speed sensor, though. I'll have to check into that.

They do look god when done though. I always liked the one the magizine did that was a red quadcab super shortbox on big boggers and a nasty V8. A little more custom than usuall but still cool.:awesomework:

I'm no expert on solid axle dakotas but I do know that since its a 2000+ dakota you will need to do some modifications to your steering. There are a few options but It seems the best and most stout is the 78' Style F250 steering box. As for the axle of choice many go for the 78' F250 D44 front end. To date I dont know of many that have gone with a D60. If you search for 6BT Dakota he has a myspace and is on the forums. The guy did a solid D60 front and rear and a inline 6 cummins swap.

As for me. I have a 97' Dakota that im now just starting the swap on. I am using J10 D44s front and rear and the front axle is VERY tight on the driver side for space. Most go with a 4 link long arm and panhard with coilovers. That option was too expensive so I am do a radius arm setup much like the RE 4.5-5.5" Jeep TJ lift kits. I will start a seperate thread on here about my progress. Check it out.

http://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34666