• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

anyone swap a 3.0 and auto to 22re 5 spd?

jsymmn

collecting parts for a new build, 91 ext. cab 3.0 v-6 auto to 22re 5 speed. I know I need new motor mount towers and pedal assembly's, clutch master and hydraulic lines, anything else? I have everything but clutch pedal and master/slave, and when drivetrain swap is done I am going to sas the front. I just haven't seen any tech on this swap. :beer::beer::beer:

Engine

Why go with a 22re unless you already have the parts??? Go with a 4.3 you'll be happier. :beer:

parting out my built 85 standard cab with fresh 22re. gotta have room for my daughter and gear. I have almost all the parts, have never heard of this swap. other than I got the 91 for $250 with 280,000 and a bad timing belt and dented, I would have bought one already 4cyl. just seeing if I was the the first cheap retard to try this, starting build between deer and elk season:beer:

Last edited:
i did this with my 89 4runner. It now has a 22re and w56. Fuel lines are different from the 3.0 to 22re. Need to use the 22re power steering pump and remote resevoir (sp) otherwise the v6 one will hit the distributor. I switched out the whole harness so the v6 one is no longer in the rig. You already said move the motor mounts so other then that its pretty easy. Its been over a year since i did mine so if i remember anything ill let you know.

Wiring harness and instrument cluster are the big ones, you are going to need an 89-95 harness, computer, fuel ines ect. I would sell/ trade your complete 85 injection system, intake manifold, ect., (minus your fresh longblock) and get one for your year chassis. You will find that many connectors are different from 85 to 89-95. If I was going through the amount of mix and match work you were, I would just swap in a 3.4/ 5 speed, it would be about the same amount of parts scrounging.

so the whole truck harness or just the engine harness? and the 91 v-6 gauge cluster needs to be replaced? thanks for any info

so the whole truck harness or just the engine harness? and the 91 v-6 gauge cluster needs to be replaced? thanks for any info

At least the engine harness. Possibly the whole harness. I would find a FSM for 1991 and start looking at wiring diagrams, it is the only way to get past relying on everyones "I think" memory.

I found a harness and computer, but the guy that is finishing the wiring for me said he can make the 85 stuff work but its a bitch $$$$$. I'd like to put a 3.4 in but I have almost everything for the 22re.

You will need the same dash harness to go with the engine. I would highly reccomend getting a 89-95 setup, its a much better design. Your going to need the same generation computer. The o2 sensors are in different locations and without the right computer it will never run right. The radiator and afm are different also and so is the exhaust. Not worth the headache. Go different route.

The reason makeing all the 85 stuff is a PITA is because alot of plugs are different by year, so even though a wire run may go to the same part, the old connector has to be cut off, new one spliced in ect. There are also lots of small differences in the 85 22re injection system and the 91 22re even though they are the "same" motor, which makes it a double bitch.

Sure it can be done, but it is easier and cleaner to find some junkyard 91 vintage 22re harness and pop it in, and it slides in like it was made for it. And you have a whole lot of 85 22re parts you can sell some 84-88 guy that wants to make the swap.